Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need a new accountant

(14 Posts)
googietheegg Fri 06-Dec-13 11:33:54

I have a ltd co, vat registered, and I need a new accountant as mine keeps going AWOL then saying sorry. I just want someone efficient who is easy to deal with - ideally someone who knows their stuff and works from home. Where do I start though? Googling is so unreliable and people I know use fancy accountant firms that are too expensive for me smile

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Dec-13 15:07:31

1. Ask locally
2. Are you in a professional body that might have recommendations
3. Phone local companies and have so initially meetings

Tableforfour Fri 06-Dec-13 17:43:37

Where are you based?

taxsaver Fri 06-Dec-13 18:17:46

Hi. I run an accountancy practice in North London (established 2001), working from a home office. I specialise in owner-managed businesses, most of whom operate via limited companies and are VAT registered.

I'd be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

If you'd like to give me a call, I'm on 020 8343 4375.


James (husband of Mumsnetter smile)

googietheegg Fri 06-Dec-13 19:04:52

James thank you, sounds good. I'll call you on Monday.

RamsgateMummy Sat 07-Dec-13 09:22:56

Hi, I too am an accountant working from my home office. If it is possible to put my hat in the ring? I am based in Kent (but deal with most of my clients via telephone and email if you are not in the south of the country) and have 8 years experience with small, owner managed companies and VAT. Feel free to contact me to see if I can be of service - or 07595998301. Thanks Ema

bunnymother Sat 07-Dec-13 09:33:44

We use an accountancy firm based in Brighton (although we live in London), called Hilton Sharp and Clarke. We have used them for 6 years and have always been very happy with them (they do everything for us and give me lots of reminders etc so that everything gets done, on time). I can't recommend them enough. Alison Richardson is my main contact, at the moment.

googietheegg Sat 07-Dec-13 19:19:23

Ramsgate and bunny, thank you both - exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for.

thenicknameiwantedisgone Mon 09-Dec-13 13:15:29

I'm also an accountant working from my home office. I'm not touting for business but just wanted to warn you to get a properly qualified accountant, ideally local to you so that you can see them if you want to.

There is no regulation of the term 'accountant' so anyone can call themselves one. Ideally you want a Chartered Accountant (with ACA or FCA after their name, FCA being more experienced) or you could use a Certified accountant (with ACCA or FCCA after their names, again FCCA being more experienced).

If you post where you are based, someone may be able to help. Otherwise I would ask around friends for who they use and would they recommend, look in local publications, village news etc. You should be able to see them for a free initial meeting. There are loads of experienced qualified people who work locally rather than in big firms for lifestyle reasons.

Good Luck.

OnGoldenPond Tue 10-Dec-13 10:42:37

Make sure you verify that they actually do hold the qualification they say they have. You can check membership of the professional bodies (ICAEW, ACCA, AAT) on their websites I believe. Or the website will have a phone number you can ring to check.

DottyboutDots Tue 10-Dec-13 10:50:12

Why does one need a chartered over a certified accountant?

OnGoldenPond Tue 10-Dec-13 16:27:50

Agreed Dotty no reason to insist on a CA over an ACCA for this kind of work both would be equally good.

getset Tue 04-Mar-14 14:41:27

I don't know if you've found an accountant yet, but I would wholeheartedly recommend mine. I, like you, have been through them! PM me if you're interested.

TalkinPeace Tue 04-Mar-14 18:50:36

Another accountant here but I definitely do not tout for work

on this page is some advice about choosing an accountant

and this forum is chock full of accountants

FCCA / ACCA .... FCA / FCA ..... CIMA / FCMA
the F comes automatically after 5 years
it does not guarantee extra skills

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: