Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ok I really need serious debt help no more sleepless nights

(17 Posts)
headburriedinthesand Wed 27-Nov-13 19:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bundaberg Wed 27-Nov-13 19:13:07

speak to cccs... they give out free, independent debt advice

was all the debt in both your names? or was some his alone?

bundaberg Wed 27-Nov-13 19:13:27

sorry cccs are now called stepchange

headburriedinthesand Wed 27-Nov-13 19:28:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manzanillaplease Wed 27-Nov-13 19:34:35

If you owe anything like 35k have a low income and no savings, you need to go bankrupt. Some of your debt pay be 'statute barred' because it had been so long, but the mortgage shortfall won't be as that takes 12 years.

Here is an account of what this involves and what happens:

I suggest you read that and then go to your local CAB and ask them to help you through the process. Find your local CAB by putting your postcode in here:

You will have to list as many debts as possible, but if you miss some off the bankruptcy forms, it doesn't matter as they will be wiped out anyway smile

It might help to check up on your credit files, that may list a lot of the debts. There is a good guide on how to do this here:

(I don't make any money out of any links in my posts.)

RandomMess Wed 27-Nov-13 19:38:29

What Manzamilla says.

headburriedinthesand Wed 27-Nov-13 19:47:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

manzanillaplease Wed 27-Nov-13 19:50:32

re bankruptcy fees, see this: and ask your local CAB to help you

headburriedinthesand Wed 27-Nov-13 19:52:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyAlconleigh Wed 27-Nov-13 19:56:37

Would you even be held responsible for anything of that nature before you were 18 though?

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Wed 27-Nov-13 19:58:22

Please speak to CAP Christians Against Poverty - they have helped loads of my friends, they are totally free and you don't have to be a Christian. Most people they help aren't religious. They win all sorts of awards and MoneySavingExpert is always raving about them.

manzanillaplease Wed 27-Nov-13 20:11:23

"I know I sound irresponsible and I was but I was 17 - 20"

You don't sound irresponsible at all - the irresponsble thing now is to try to ignore the problem.

Bankruptcy is there for when you need a clean start - and you do. It won't be great, but it won't be nearly as bad as you think smile

LovelyBath Thu 28-Nov-13 12:48:14

Would recommend Payplan ( to help with this good luck OP you don't deserve this and I think you can be free of it sooner than you might think.

Also if you need to open a new simple bank account I would recommend Cashminder with the Co-op, (despite the recent press of the co-op). It's easy to do online banking and you get a debit card and I've found it great and simple to use.

manzanillaplease Thu 28-Nov-13 16:08:21

if you need to go bankrupt (and it sounds as though you do) then the co-op account will not do as it isn't available any longer for undisharged bankrupts (it used to be). Now the only account which is avaiable is Barclays basic bank account.

handinpocket Thu 28-Nov-13 23:46:39

I went bankrupt a few months ago and I was able to keep using my co-op account. I used the MSE bankruptcy boards for advice and most people on there have had no problems using the Co-op account, as long as it's opened before the bankruptcy, but they won't accept you if you've already gone bankrupt and then try to open an account. So the best thing to do is make sure you open it beforehand. I find it much better than the Barclays account, as Barclays won't let you use online banking and I'd find it frustrating to not be able to do that. You get a full debit card, the only difference to a normal account is that you can't get a cheque book or overdraft, but neither of those has been a problem for me.

OP, I had much higher debts than you and also had no assets and I got advice from Stepchange who recommended bankruptcy for me. I found it quite straightforward and it was a huge relief to be able to say goodbye to all those debts. If you're on a low income (like me) you may not have to pay anything back towards the debts, so it's a real fresh start. My credit rating is obviously bad now but it was already poor beforehand. I saved up my bankruptcy fees by stopping any further payments to my creditors. I could probably have got a grant for the fees, but it would have meant going through our CAB and they have a really long waiting time for appointments.

RedHelenB Sat 30-Nov-13 15:21:08

If you go bankrupt for joint debts then the creditors will go after your ex for the money.

ThanSheSaid Sat 30-Nov-13 16:35:38

You should go to a debt management CHARITY such as National Debt Line CAB, Stepchange or Debt Support Trust. Make sure whichever company you use is a REGISTERED CHARITY.

MONEY SAVING EXPERT has loads of advice on debt management plus great forums with lots of helpful posters and some snarky ones many of who have been through the same thing. There are some amazing stories of people who have successfully tackled huge debts.

You need to do a lot of research and work out exactly who and what you owe. There is no shortcut to doing this-you have to put in the work. smile Hopefully,you will feel more in control and less stressed once you know what you are up against.

Going bankrupt may not be the best answer.

Good luck. It will be a long hard slog whatever you decide but you have done the hardest thing which is acknowledging that you need to face up to things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now