Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I'm in trouble please help me

(16 Posts)
MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 14:32:02

I thought I was going to receive a decent amount of help towards my rent being a single parent but I'm receiving a third of what I was supposed to. Therefore I haven't a penny to spend literally nothing a month to spend after food, bills and rent. I'm stuck here for 5 more months and I'm going to lose my car.

I don't know what to do sad

The only thing I can think to do is move home so I have no bills for gas and electricity and keep paying the rent until I've done the 5 months?

It's because I live in barnsley I get hardly any help, but if I lived 2 miles away over the border into Wakefield I'd get full rent paid. I am devastated as I'm going to lose my car now sad

LoofahVanDross Wed 27-Nov-13 14:34:27

Sorry to hear this, did you not get told what help you were entitled to before you moved into this home?

Could you move back to parents/family in the meantime?

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 14:36:23

I suppose it was my fault as a friend of mine gets the full rent paid but I didn't realise it depended on areas, I feel so stupid sad

My parents are going to be devastated for me I'm dreading telling them.

And yeah I can go live at my parents but the whole reason I moved out was because we were getting in the way of each other with a small baby in the house

Bowlersarm Wed 27-Nov-13 14:39:32

Move back in with your parents, and save hard for a year or so? Then research which area you move to if it makes such a difference financially.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 14:56:53

Looks like I'll have to sad

LoofahVanDross Wed 27-Nov-13 15:06:49

You need to be honest with your parents, Explain what has happened. They won't want you living hand to mouth for the next 5 months and being miserable. Bite the bullet and tell them, it will probably be a relief for you as it must be worrying. Then you can look forward to moving on in the spring again.

MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 15:09:39

Yeah I will do, I'll have to tell them soon.
And I just feel so stupid that I didn't realise, feel like such a moron confused
I even did an online calculator provided by the council that said id get a decent amount but clearly not

LoofahVanDross Wed 27-Nov-13 16:01:52

Are you working OP?

manzanillaplease Wed 27-Nov-13 19:36:58

Can you go to your local CAB and ask them to run a complete benefit check for you, becaue what you are describing sounds rather odd...

InMySpareTime Fri 29-Nov-13 08:21:53

Get over to the credit crunch threads, see what you can save on food and bills. If you're just feeding yourself and buying nappies (& formula?) your outgoings needn't be high, and given you are above the income threshold for government help your wages must be relatively high.
If you need your car for work you'll need to cut back on other bills.
Perhaps turn the thermostat down a few degrees and dress yourself and baby warmly, or batch cook meals to save money.
Don't buy new clothes, get charity shop stuff for you and the baby.
Don't bother with Christmas, your baby won't know, and that should go some way to keeping you on an even keel.

custardo Fri 29-Nov-13 08:30:06

you should make an appointment to see the cab and make sure you are claiming all youre entitled to.
some info fr help in barnsley

also found this a community centre that helps with welfare issues

glenthebattleostrich Fri 29-Nov-13 08:38:57

I'm guessing you live quite close to me then as I'm on the Barnsley border (actually moved over the border because Barnsley council can be such arseholes).

The children's centres in Barnsley are brilliant, they will give you so much advice.

Contact your local councillor, they should help.

If you are stuck for food there are 2 food banks in Barnsley town centre very close to the bus station

To save having the heating on decamp to toddler groups - lots of the churches do free tea and toast sessions.

I'll have a little think and see what else I can come up with.

Why do you need another thread about this?

Icepilot Fri 29-Nov-13 17:19:44

What about the baby's father? Is he able to help/contribute?

lougle Fri 29-Nov-13 17:31:59

If you move out of the flat/house you will stop getting housing benefit, so will be liable for the full rent. So you need to take £35 off whatever savings you think you will make by moving home.

lougle Fri 29-Nov-13 17:33:46

Are you getting help with child care through tax credits?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now