Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Going to be skint :(

(37 Posts)
MamaPingu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:15:02

Just moved out with my little boy and we've been in our new home only a month and I've received a letter that I'm not going to be receiving help with council tax and I'll only get 140 a month help with rent. I can't believe it I'm gutted I'm a single mum and I'm now going to be absolutely skint and lose my car!

Someone I know in the exact same situation gets 415 towards her rent sad

Mandymoo1969 Wed 27-Nov-13 21:39:57

things are getting tough for anyone on benefits help and it will get worse under universal credit

QuintessentialShadows Thu 28-Nov-13 10:43:29

As long as this government is clamping down on benefits the way they do, I think it would be unwise to give up your job. It is much harder to return to work after a few years of not working. You cant rely on benefits to pay your home and your living, the welfare state cant afford it.

Everything is Effed. Heard on the news that as much as 9 billion could be lost to students who cant repay their student loans. Which means that the government is really subsidizing the Universities, who claim such high tuition fees in the first place. Backwards.

The money to pay out benefits has to come from somewhere, and at the moment, it isnt! So hang on to your job.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 28-Nov-13 21:43:15

Sheer madness to rent somewhere not knowing how you would pay the rent. Its also a little rich to be moaning about HB not being as much as you want given you are having quite a bit in benefits already.

Sixteen hours is very part time, childcare is widely available during the day so if you cant up your hours in your existing job you can take on hours elsewhere around them.

InMySpareTime Fri 29-Nov-13 08:28:28

Perhaps if you list your income and outgoings we'll be able to find areas you can save money.
Do you have any skills you could use to earn extra money?

RandomMess Sat 30-Nov-13 18:10:14

I'm not sure but with a baby under 12 months old I think they are expected to share with the parents - certainly here they aren't counted as needing their own room until 12 months old.

Hope you manage to sort something out, could you cycle from work instead of driving?

Scruffyhound Thu 05-Dec-13 12:11:01

Hello MamaPingu have you rang a charity like step change? See if they can help you? Im not sure if they can. They are helping me at the moment with things. Although my situation is not the same as yours. Going off what you have said move back with parents a 11 week old baby on its own is stressful enough. Get support with that first. Cant you get SMP if you go to your mum and dads? That might give you the break to clear your head, have some time to think get things straight. Good luck.

working3jobs Mon 09-Dec-13 12:12:51

could you fill this out? its a good place to start and we may be able to help you hang on in there smile

moldingsunbeams Mon 09-Dec-13 12:22:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

holidaysarenice Tue 10-Dec-13 01:33:19

Unless you live in London, 900 pcm for you and a baby is ridiculous and should never and wouldn't be covered by benefits. Even a part amount will be minimal.

I live in a city, in a fairly expensive rental area and 1 beds are about 500-550 for a good one with 2 beds being about 600ish.

Do you want to list ur incomings etc and we can see how to help?

Messupmum Wed 11-Dec-13 08:14:33

Happy I think you're being very harsh. Yes 16 hours is part time, but being a single mum to a young baby is very much a full time job. At least op is working, she could easily rely entirely on benefits. Also childcare is widely available but also expensive, and babies grow up so quickly maybe op wants to actually spend time with her baby?

I have found that the council and tax credits won't tell you how much you can receive until your have the tenency agreement and are living in the property. And I don't live in London but where I live it's impossible to find any property less than £850 p/m.

Op, I don't think it sounds right though, I would make an appt at the council, with a lone parent advisor at the job centre or at the CAB, and get some advice and support. Good luck!

Messupmum Wed 11-Dec-13 08:17:39

Also if it's privately rented, it doesn't matter how many bedroom you have. They pay you accordingly and you just pay the rest. I live in a three bedroom but qualify for a two bedroom property and I pay the extra. Sometimes the rent doesn't differ much whether it's a 2 bed or 3 bed.

glasgowsteven Wed 18-Dec-13 14:12:17

a 900 quid flat which only 1 bedroom is required - for 6 months to a year anyways and the council should pay...

lots of perfecly good flat for 50-66% of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now