Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is this something a book keeper could help me with?

(7 Posts)
FloatingFree Tue 26-Nov-13 11:33:07

Hoping somebody here can help, or recommend somebody who might be able to! I used to work as a self-employed person in TV production, prior to having children. I've been out of the job market for about 4 years and recently started up again working for a friend part time, again as a self-employed person.

With my current income (very small) I can't justify using an accountant any more to deal with my tax affairs. But I am completely overwhelmed by the prospect of having to deal with HMRC, not just because of bad experiences in the past, but also because right now I am going through a very painful, very very difficult divorce and am struggling to cope. I desperately want somebody to hold my hand through sorting through a few outstanding issues from previous years (very minor but there is a bill to pay) and also to help me submit this year's tax return. I can't seem to find out whether there is a cheaper way of doing this than using a full-blown accountant, would a book keeper help me?

Feeling so overwhelmed with everything at the moment, doing my Form E for the divorce and also worrying about my tax return, could really do with some help! Thanks in advance. smile

Mogz Tue 26-Nov-13 13:36:26

Have you tried approaching Citizen's Advice? They may be able to point you in the direction of affordable financial help. Hope you get it sorted, dealing with the hmrc forms is a bugger when there's a discrepancy or the tiniest of problems.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Nov-13 13:37:42

I think a good book-keeper could get your paperwork in order. I use a some software called TaxCalc to submit personal tax returns and that's quite easy to navigate once you've got the numbers together. Good luck with the divorce.

manzanillaplease Tue 26-Nov-13 15:14:09

You could try

(I don't make any money from any links in my posts)

FloatingFree Tue 26-Nov-13 15:22:07

Thanks very much all! Just wading through my financial disclosure docs for the lawyer but really want to also get a handle on this side of things, will read the Tax Aid stuff this evening.

RamsgateMummy Sat 07-Dec-13 09:35:23

Hi floatingFree sorry you are having a rough time, and if you haven't already sorted, maybe I could help? I have my own accountancy business working from my home office due to having DS 1.4 and another due next year!! I don't charge standard high accountancy fees, and am happy to discuss your situation. No obligation of course, just to see if I can help for a fee you would be happy with. Send me an email or 07595998301 if you want. Thanks Ema

vj32 Sat 07-Dec-13 10:26:23

If it is help with a tax return you probably want a tax technician (someone qualified in tax and basic accounts) rather than an accountant. They will probably be cheaper than an accountant. But you have left it quite late for this year, anyone who specialises in tax will probably be very busy by now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now