Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.'s all down to money..continuing a pregnancy.

(7 Posts)
ElizaDolittle74 Fri 08-Nov-13 19:14:58

I'm sure there will be many people who will judge but if anyone has advice
, I'd love to hear it!!

Just over 12 months ago my Husband was killed by a drunk driver. We have one young child. I receive WPA and CTC.

I am also in the final stages of making a claim against the drivers insurance company to cover my late Husbands Debts, my mortgage and a dependancy claim on behalf of my Daughter. The driver is in prison, insurance company have admitted liability.

I slept with a mate (he's divorced) a couple of months ago just for comfort really and despite my IUD, I'm pregnant. I've spoken to the Father, whilst we are friends, neither of us would want any sort of relationship. The thing is I want to keep the baby and I'm prepared to "go it alone"

However, I imagine the DWP won't believe that I'm not in a relationship and my WPA etc be stopped.

Can anybody advise me if this is the case? I'm fairly sure it will be a similar situation with the insurance company.

There's no way I can support us without the WPA etc but given my age and lack of Partner this is my last chance to have another child.

Any help appreciated!

bundaberg Fri 08-Nov-13 19:18:03

i am pretty sure that your benefits won't be stopped just because you got pregnant.
plenty of people get pregnant without being in a relationship

Heymacarena Fri 08-Nov-13 19:18:23

I don't have insider knowledge of the CTC or whatever - but I don't see how they can withhold benefits on this. I am sure many women will have babies without a partner.

Sorry to hear about your husband.

Good luck with the new baby.

manzanillaplease Fri 08-Nov-13 20:35:50

The maximum Widowed Parent’s Allowance (WPA) is £108.30 a week. If you didn't get this, you would be entitled to income support at £71.70 a week until your youngest child is 5, after that you would have to apply for Job Seekers Allowance and look for a job. So WPA is more than you would get if WPA is ruled out, but you would survive on Income Support - many, many lone parents do.

But I cant imagine your WPA would be stopped. It isn't unless your are actually living with someone, not just have a FWB.

I also don't think it would affect your insurance claim.

If you want this baby, then I think you should forget about the money. Somethings matter more than money and babies are one of them.

Your pregnancy - how many weeks? Have you seen a doctor? because if you get preganant with an IUD it can be ectopic which is a major medical emergency...

LadyLapsang Fri 08-Nov-13 23:36:26

Surely the father should pay towards his child? I admire you wanting to 'go it alone' but does he not want to step up to the plate instead of relying on other taxpayers to pay you benefits? I am sure you have had a horrible time and the baby sounds good news in some ways. I don't think DWP will assume you are in a relationship, their officials are well versed in the realities of life.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Nov-13 05:33:15

You have to be acting/living as a couple to be considered a couple for benefits purposes. Even when your friend pays maintenance for your baby - which I trust he will do - this does not currently impact on other benefits received.

bimbabirba Mon 11-Nov-13 21:53:47

The DWP don't care who you sleep with unless they live with you so you have nothing to fear unless this new man moves in with you. You would lose WPA if he moves in and CTC would be affected by his income i.e. You would need to make a joint claim and you may not qualify for CTC anymore.
Sorry to hear about your tragic loss and good luck with your pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now