Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

When to tell job centre you have found a job

(9 Posts)
shrunkenhead Mon 14-Oct-13 22:45:53

My husband has been unemployed for a few months and had finally been offered a job that starts on Monday which is great news however I don't know when we let the job centre know as he won't get paid for at least four weeks and know how quick jc are to stop your benefits. Will they pay his jsa until he gets his first wages? Just don't know how we'll pay the mortgage and bills otherwise. Does anyone have any experience of this situation? I don't want him to be dishonest and face prosecution if he keeps quiet and know they can be v tough on people. Hope someone can help!

debtcamel Mon 14-Oct-13 23:00:05

If he has been getting JSA for 26 weeks or more he will be able to get run on benefits, see

RedHelenB Wed 16-Oct-13 11:57:44

I would tell them after his first day at work, It's not optional but a requirement that you let them know as soon as you do.

shrunkenhead Wed 16-Oct-13 12:42:15

I'm not a benefit scrounger and want to get off them as soon as, just know how ruthless they are in stopping them and wonder how we pay the mortgage in next 4 weeks if he gets no jsa and no wage until end of next month!? We have no savings left as have had to use them in the last six months he's been unemployed to cover mortgage bills etc.

debtcamel Wed 16-Oct-13 13:11:36

They are not 'ruthless' in stopping them, they will just be applying the rules I am afraid. Yes you do have to tell them straightaway.

If he has been unemployed for over 26 weeks, he will get help with run on JSA.

If he has been unemployed for more than 13 weeks he MAY have been entitled to help with your mortgage costs over the past few weeks/months... I am not sure if this can be backdated. I think you should visit your local CAB and ask.

He could ask his employeer if there is a chance of a loan or an advance on his pay.

If you have any other debts, you shouldn't have been paying those whilst he was unemployed and should consider not paying anything to them for the next month. Also look at emergency budgetting ideas that will help you eek out the Child Benefit & Child Tax Credit - see - I'm not saying these will solve your problem byt they may reduce it.

Could you get get any part-time work for the next month in the evenings or at the weekends so OH could look after the kids? Nov & Dec are the best times to try to pick up part time work.

In practice missing a months mortgage payment is not going to result in you being evicted

shrunkenhead Thu 17-Oct-13 09:40:11

Thanks, will have a look at those sites and maybe send him to the cab. I have been working as a waitress for the past few months to try to get us through this and will continue to do this however it is only minimum wage so we can't survive on just this. It has been the worst year, just trying to keep things normal for my dd as don't want her to suffer. Thanks again for your replies, Iappreciate it.

wobblywindows Wed 23-Oct-13 10:08:09

further to earlier answers -hope the new job is going well smile
see this page for up-to-date details (earlier link was correct at July 2010)

You are looking to get 3 possible elements-
1.Mortgage Interest Run On from jobcentre -
2. Extended help with Council tax Reduction - equivalent to 4 weeks run-on - sorry can't find the page for this but write/ask at your council for this.
3. Help with fares to work - arranged through your personal advisor at the jobcentre, paid (if at all) in arrears, keep receipts.

There used to be a Job Grant but I think that stopped.

Even if the jobcentre say this is all done automatically, don't believe them.
Write and ask about each element - they are obliged to reply.

wobblywindows Wed 23-Oct-13 10:15:49

Also - did he work at all since April 5 this year ? If he paid tax on that earlier job then he will (probably) be due a tax refund. Keep copy of any tax forms eg P45 from jobcentre and get right onto the tax office.

Normally, someone starting work will be put on emergency tax, and stay there until payroll have received notice of his tax coding from the tax office. Emergency tax is recorded as 'Month 1' on the payslip - October should be 'Month 7' .

Work out first if he's due a refund, and if so contact the tax office asap.

shrunkenhead Wed 23-Oct-13 17:07:28

Thanks guys will have a look, it all seems so complicated and can see why people are put off seeking employment! He starts on the 31st so won't get paid till end of idea what to do about my dd's birthday party which is mid November! Might have to move it to b beginning of Dec.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now