Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If you buy an item and its faulty are you entitled to your money back?

(3 Posts)
Marne Fri 27-Sep-13 19:02:27

Dh bought a tablet from PC World a few months ago, within a week it went dead and would not charge or turn on so we returned it to the shop and it was sent off to be fixed, they have now called (left a message) and have said they can not fix it so dh can chose another tablet to the same value or can pay £50 extra to get the new version of what he bought (as the new version is now out they no longer sale the one dh bought). Dh doesn't want a different tablet and would rather have his money back, am I right in thinking 'if the shop can not replace with the same item he can get his money back'?

peggyundercrackers Fri 27-Sep-13 19:06:48

yes you can tell them you want your money back as the item was not fit for purpose. refer them to sale of goods act if they get arsey.

BrownSauceSandwich Fri 27-Sep-13 21:25:38

Keep that message! Transcribe it and quote it in your further correspondence with them. The sale of goods act says you have to give them a reasonable chance to repair or replace it (like for like), and THEN you're entitled to a full refund. So you have evidence that you've upheld your end of the bargain, and now they have to stump up... The money, that is. Not credit notes, or vouchers, or any other pc world bullshit. Put it writing this time, something like

I am writing to claim a full refund for the XXXX I bought from you on DATE. The item developed a fault under normal use, and I returned it to you for repair on DATE. By your own admission, you have been unable to repair it, and I do not consider your suggested alternatives to be Acceptable replacements. I therefore ask, according to my rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, that you give me a full refund so I can buy a replacement product elsewhere. I look forward to achieving full resolution of this matter by DATE, otherwise I will have no choice but to refer the matter to the small claims court.

Ok, so you have to give them a decent chance to respond, like 4 weeks. If you haven't heard from them by your set date, register the matter with Money Claims Online

This is uk gov official service for small claims. You do it all online. You have to be prepared to pay the small fee (£25 I think) IF it doesn't go your way. But your case sounds VERY clear cut... They will probably pay up after the first letter, or they almost certainly will try to settle up as soon as they here from MCO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now