Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax demand for 2008/9 - did you or DH get one??

(9 Posts)
whowherewhen Tue 24-Sep-13 11:57:15

In March of this year my DH got a tax demand of nearly £2000 for tax for year 2008/9. Did anybody get the same?? Have you paid it or what??

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 24-Sep-13 13:19:33

Yes. I had to pay back about £800 for 2008/9 last year. Does your DH send in a self-assessment? Does he still have the information? I went back through my paperwork, had a chat to an accountant, and discovered that - unfortunately - they were right.

Vickibee Tue 24-Sep-13 14:02:39

My DH can beat that - he got one from 1998 (before we met) for £700 ish which they deducted from money they owed him for the last tax year. Unbelievable - DH said not to challenge it as he didn't want to rock the boat. With HMRC you have to prove you don't owe the £, they don't seem to think it is for them to explain why you owe the Tax

whowherewhen Tue 24-Sep-13 20:18:20

It's just that I think it's terribly unfair to dig this up after nearly 4 years.
Times are very tough at the mo and we'll struggle to find the money. Yes he did fill in a self assessment online and I'm not sure that he's kept any record of it.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 25-Sep-13 12:09:17

HMRC can claim back underpaid tax for up to 6 years. We can claim back overpaid tax for up to 4 years. So a bit of an imbalance in the Exchequer's favour there. Best to keep at least five year's back documents.

Vickibee Wed 25-Sep-13 12:12:16

6 years? we had a demand form 15 years ago?

whowherewhen Wed 25-Sep-13 12:39:05

Thanks for all your comments. To be honest I thought more of you might have been affected by this because apparently about 45,000 people received demands for the year 2008/9, at the start of this year, owing to a new computer program being introduced and an unearthing of these claims.

BMW6 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:29:01

Can go back 15 years if person was Director of a limited company, as I recall.

Much longer if serious tax evasion suspected.

BMW6 Wed 25-Sep-13 21:31:14

When I worked for HMRC company cars seemed to cause the biggest number of underpayments.
Number 2 cause was other income - Pension, Letting Income, Untaxed Band Interest etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now