Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child support.

(3 Posts)
bumpsnowjustplump Wed 18-Sep-13 22:21:04

Hi not sure if this is the right place to post but ex partner owns his own business which is a ltd company. He pays himself a small salary and then tops it up with dividends so he doesn't pay tax on it. His pay including the dividends has been the same for the last 2 years so is not related to profit. We have 3 children and I have been told that CSA will not take dividends into consideration when working out child support. Is this correct? Even if I can prove that he has been in receipt of the same amount every month and the dividends is not profit related? Thanks in advance!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 19-Sep-13 06:47:11

Sadly, yes it's correct and it's very common practice to declare a very low salaried income in order to avoid paying tax in the first instance and anything related to taxable income (like child support) in addition. However, if you can prove that his take-home is regular and considerably higher than he declares then a good solicitor may be able to make the case.

bumpsnowjustplump Thu 19-Sep-13 08:14:20

Thank you Cogito

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now