Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Partner is going back to work, need advice on Tax credits... help??

(4 Posts)
HeatherAndJames Fri 13-Sep-13 22:39:55

Hi, my partner is going back to work on Monday after a long time looking, we are ecstatic but we know on the one wage with a little one and rent will be hard so need to claim working tax credits to bridge the gap. however I don't know if it would stop the child tax credit when we put in the claim and that stopping within the first couple of weeks before his wages start coming would leave us destitute, I wondered if anyone can help me I don't want to declare to tax credits then realise we won't be able to buy food until they do the paperwork. Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 14-Sep-13 07:28:58

Run your new household income through the benefits calculator at to get an idea of how much CTC and/or WTC you'd be entitled to. Then advise HMRC of your change in circumstances. They don't cut off the payments while they do the paperwork.

FloraFoxley Sat 14-Sep-13 08:07:20

You will have a 4 week run on so will receive your CTC for that period

HeatherAndJames Sat 14-Sep-13 22:15:08

Thanks, I'll have a look on there, you've really put my mind at ease

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now