Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits

(3 Posts)
tommolt Sat 07-Sep-13 17:52:11

I have very recently been cheated on by my partner and he has left my house. I've contacted tax credits and they asked me the weekly figure of the childcare costs. We have two babies being looked after by a childminder. Is the figure I give them the total weekly cost or half that figure as we split the bill and pay 50% each.


CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 09:35:54

Give them the total weekly cost. You're now regarded as their primary carer and resident parent and claiming as a single person. Any assistance you receive from your former partner is regarded as child maintenance which is not taken into account when calculating certain benefits.

clare8allthepies Tue 10-Sep-13 14:55:06

Hmm, the question we always ask about childcare costs are that you declare what you are paying out of your own pocket. If he is giving you the money and you're paying the costs then that would probably be ok, however if you both pay the childminder directly then if you get asked to provide evidence for your costs (which happens a lot) then you could be snookered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now