Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Ben during mat leave- do i need to do tax return?

(10 Posts)
Conchita Tue 03-Sep-13 19:10:34

Just had letter saying I may need to complete tax return as I earn over 50k and receive child bens. I started claiming in jan 2012 and started maternity leave in jan 12 on SMP. This means that in tax year 2012-2013 I earned well below my usual salary. As I understand it, this should mean that I should not need to complete a tax return now but will need to do so next year. However the letter I received today says I will need to complete one if 'the following statements apply to you, or applied to you in the 2013 tax year'- all statements apply to me at present. So as my usual salary before and after maternity leave is over 50k does this mean I must complete a return despite not having earned that in apr 2012-13?
Partners earns under threshold and this is first child.
Hope that is clear and thanks for your help

mrsmalcolmreynolds Tue 03-Sep-13 20:24:35

I think the 50k etc are just guidelines and they can require anyone to complete a return. I'd just complete the form - probably less trouble than trying to get them to revoke its issue...

Conchita Tue 03-Sep-13 20:31:59

Thanks. They haven't actually sent a form, just a letter saying I may need a form. But I am worried that as I'm on their radar they will pursue me if I don't register

mrsmalcolmreynolds Thu 05-Sep-13 14:07:04

Perhaps phone up and ask?

Alanna1 Thu 05-Sep-13 14:10:09

Why not just do a form?

Conchita Thu 05-Sep-13 18:36:24

I prob should phone and ask, have been avoiding because I think they will just say to do the form, even if not really needed. Don't want to just because of effort entailed, but DH thinks it should be straightforward for me as paid by PAYE. hope he is right!

ModeratelyObvious Fri 06-Sep-13 13:39:17

The form isn't hard ;-)

ModeratelyObvious Fri 06-Sep-13 13:40:17

Also, you may be owed tax if your salary was taxed on the basis of a full year of earnings and you got SMP for some of it.

OfflineFor40Years Fri 06-Sep-13 17:30:17

Also, if you are a higher rate tax payer and made any gift aid donations during the year, you may be due a rebate.....

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 10-Sep-13 14:06:26

If you're worried about completing the return I can highly recommend a bit of software called 'TaxCalc'. Costs about £25, leads you through the questions by the hand with helpful notes and 'wizards', and allows you to file online once you have a HMRC Gateway ID and password. DH could use it as well. Even though I'm PAYE and my income isn't that complicated, I always seem to get a rebate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now