Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Flexible working denied.....what can i apply for until i get another job

(7 Posts)
slightlyroundthebend Sun 18-Aug-13 23:11:44

Basically, my application for flexible working has been denied I'm just wondering where to get info on any help I could recieve in the interim until I can get a part time job (hopefully not too long). I've never been on benefits before so it's an entirely new world to me :$

Mum2Fergus Mon 19-Aug-13 09:17:29

Can you appeal the refusal first of all?

Tiredemma Mon 19-Aug-13 09:18:50

what was the reasons for it being refused?

slightlyroundthebend Tue 20-Aug-13 10:51:20

I was refused on the basis that my job (trainee management accountant) is a full time role they can't afford employ another person for job share and that other staff can't cover responsibilities. I'm pretty sure this is crap and considering constructive dismissal but basically it's a new boss and now I don't think I could work for him anyway after this. Just no idea about support I could receive until I get another job. May well temp.

Andro Tue 20-Aug-13 16:51:08

They've given 2 'acceptable' reasons for denying your request:

From the government web site:
Employers can only reject an application for one of the following reasons:

extra costs which will damage the business
the business won’t be able to meet customer demand
the work can’t be reorganised among other staff
people can’t be recruited to do the work
flexible working will have an effect on quality and performance
there’s a lack of work to do during the proposed working times
the business is planning changes to the workforce

Your boss doesn't have to grant the request if one or more of those reasons apply. I'm not sure you'd get any 'out of work' benefits if you have chosen to leave your job though...I'm sure someone else will clarify.

LIZS Tue 20-Aug-13 16:57:20

I've a feeling you may not be able to claim JSA as they could argue you have resigned. If you have an under 5 you may get Income Support/Universal Credit. Depends if you have any savings, dp/dh's income etc

slightlyroundthebend Wed 21-Aug-13 22:40:39

Ah I hadn't even thought about job seekers, if I temp I shouldn't need it? I get child benefit (£81 per month) but didn't know if there were any other tax credits I could apply for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now