Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i want to pull out of purchase on day of move

(31 Posts)
1harley1 Sat 20-Jul-13 06:32:23

total panic, just exchanged contracts on a house that had some underpinning to the conservatory in 2006, I never took much notice as its the conservatory and nothing has happened since work done, yesterday I tried to get insurance and its a nightmare, I now have insurance to start Monday aka 2 days time but they wont add subsidence to the insurance until I pay for a professional report, I paid cash just about all the money I have in the world after working all life so did not bother with surveyor, I wish to god now I had not brought it, its Saturday so cant speak to solicitor, what would happen if monday the day of the move I pulled out

dotnet Tue 23-Jul-13 13:44:48

So... are you in? I hope so and that you'll love the house. Like roshbegosh my guess is that the main structure is going to be fine, and the fact that the conservatory wasn't, is something you can forget about, being as that's been dealt with. You can get a survey done now you're in (if you're in) and start to budget for putting right any problems the survey might throw up.
Your poor sellers though - I'm guessing you must have put them through the mill as well - so I hope there's a feeling of relief on both sides!

traintracks Tue 23-Jul-13 06:36:27

Our house has been previously underpinned and we are with a specialist insurance company called Plum, via a broker Brownhill, they are very helpful (ask for Dora ) but yes you will need a survey. If the seller didn't declare the underpinning you can sue them, if they declared it and you still didn't bother with a survey then you clearly like risk! Get on to a surveyor asap.

LIZS Mon 22-Jul-13 10:47:01

Is it going ahead ?

AnythingNotEverything Sun 21-Jul-13 23:09:44

Yes Rosh, that is now clear, but the assumption that OPcould follow on with the vendor's insurance was made when OP assumed they would know about the subsidence.

Anyway - best of luck OP.

specialsubject Sun 21-Jul-13 16:59:13

for everyone's ref, you need to insure the property that you are buying from EXCHANGE, not completion. This is because you are compelled to buy it from then even if it burns to the ground. The sellers continue their own policy until completion - this arrangement is fine with the insurance companies.

OP, hope nothing else comes to light.

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Jul-13 16:56:15

Oh I would have thought this would be dealt with by a stand alone indemnity policy, like chancel repair or missing building regs are (awaits op finding out is in a chancel repair parish and hasn't checked building regs either).

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-13 16:37:03

If op were getting a mortgage all these issues would have had to be resolved much sooner. However as a cash buyer she has turned a blind eye and didn't assess the implications. I wonder who identified the subsidence initially and why it didn't go to an insurer at that point hmm. How old is the conservatory ?

digerd Sun 21-Jul-13 16:04:47

My solicitor phoned me to say did I know the extension wall in the living room had been underpinned due to subsidence caused by tree roots. He said he was going to search to find if all the tree roots had been taken out/destroyed so it wouldn't grow again.
I asked him what it meant and he told me there was a panic stigma involved in underpinning due to subsidence and, I found out the lovely house had been on the market for over a year and nobody would buy it.

My friends who lived in the area told me in shock not to touch it with a barge pole. I read that people could not get mortgages or insurance for further subsidence, but also read about taking out the same insurance as the previous people .
I pulled out before any contract was signed or deposit paid.

Roshbegosh Sun 21-Jul-13 15:44:21

But the insurers hadn't been told about the subsidence. It was the conservatory not the actual house so presumably a badly built extension.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 21-Jul-13 15:37:15

Chub- that's how it works with issues such as subsidence. To ensure that a property isn't left uninsurable, the company who dealt with the original claim must continue to offer insurance on the property (at a cost of their choosing!).

Roshbegosh Sun 21-Jul-13 15:02:49

Glad you feel better, it will all work out in the end.

Enjoy your new home flowers. Hope you love it x

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Jul-13 15:01:47

Why on earth would you assume that you can take over someone else's house insurance? You don't take their car insurance when you buy a car.

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-13 15:01:28

Once you have exchanged the buildings insurance becomes your responsibility but maybe you only need that with a mortgage.

1harley1 Sun 21-Jul-13 14:58:03

hi everyone, I have calmed down now, feel he has let me down by telling me he had house insurance inc subsidence therefore I assumed I could just take over his insurance from the company but alas as I have said he had not told the insurance company about the subsidence so I have house ins starting tomorrow but they will not cover subsidence, I will just have to get the survey done this week to get paperwork for subsidence ins

thanks to all for your comments much appreciated


Roshbegosh Sun 21-Jul-13 10:43:29

Good point lizs
You have left it too late and the costs of pulling out are likely to exceed any possible costs if you proceed. And you may not have any costs with this house.

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-13 10:38:42

plus your failure to complete would impact on your vendors' purchase and anyone further up the chain , not sure what the financial implications of any delay to those deals might be.

AllBellyandBoobs Sun 21-Jul-13 07:56:01

Don't the current owners have the paperwork relating to the underpinning? Structural report? Builders report? That, and a normal surveyor report was all our insurers required when we bought an underpinned property. Remember, as long as the underpinning was done correctly, you have a very secure structure which is not now going to fall down

Mama1980 Sun 21-Jul-13 07:42:34

I think if you pull out now you will be eligible for all costs plus your deposit as stated in the contract regardless of whether or these have been already paid. It happened to a friend of mine and the paperwork and costs the guy who pulled out had to pay made me wince! Try to calm down I totally understand where your coming from but I hope you've had some sleep and can ring some more insurance brokers today.
Dnt really understand why this wasn't flagged by your solicitor, have you asked them? Why do you love this house?

Roshbegosh Sun 21-Jul-13 07:32:15

This was underpinning of a conservatory in 2006. You have no reason to think there is a problem with the house but the conservatory wasn't buit properly, and that has been sorted out. I think you are in a state of panic because this is a huge thing to do, it's all your savings and it can be utterly terrifying to make these leaps of faith alone. Please try to remember why you liked the house to begin with and focus on the positive. It isn't going to fall down.

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Jul-13 07:02:56

And YY to above re deposit. Whether you've paid one up front of not the standard contract of sale states 10% payable on exchange and will be lost if you default on completion.

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-13 07:01:06

Presumably you had building insurance when you exchanged , otherwise solicitor wouldn't have gone ahead.

Chubfuddler Sun 21-Jul-13 06:57:11

Just to clarify I'm talking about a specific insurance policy to give indemnity against problems with the conservatory, not their buildings/contents insurance which will lapse when they sell to you. If they don't have one already they should take one out to cover you. Talk to your solicitor on Monday.

I agree it is likely your solicitor has advised you, probably on a letter you haven't taken much notice of, of the perils of not getting a survey done.

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-13 06:49:16

Calm down. Try an insurance broker . I never took much notice as its the conservatory and nothing has happened since work done I don't think it is up to the solicitor to point this out . You chose to turn a blind eye and not have a survey and presumably the house is priced accordingly. At worst you have a surveyor round and either get confirmation all is ok or do work, was previous guaranteed ? If you pull out now you are liable for a deposit as per your contract (even if you haven't physically paid one yet) plus your legal costs and maybe theirs too.

1harley1 Sun 21-Jul-13 03:23:01

Hi all tanks for info, I contacted them to ask about their insurance providers they gave me the details BUT when I rang the insurers they told me that they had no knowledge of the subsidence, the owners had not told them about it and they got real shirty and they would be contacting the owners about withholding info, I have not paid any deposit, some of the threads on this web site state I would only lose any costs that they sue me for aka solicitors bills and removals, I have not slept 2 nights, even if it cots me a couple of grand I think I am pulling out, it means telling them today to stop packing with only 24 hours notice but to buy a house I cant re sell easily OR could potentially be falling down is a no no. The insurers did tell me I would need a full structural survey before any one would insure it, WHY did my solicitor not tell me any of this or even warn me of the consequences of buying this house

specialsubject Sat 20-Jul-13 09:55:38

you will lose a fortune if you pull out now so not an option. Contact the owners, get their policy details and insure with them. And do it ASAP, you must now buy the place so you need to insure it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now