Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can someone claim Income support or JSA if they aren't paying bills?

(11 Posts)
dignifiedsilence Wed 17-Jul-13 18:19:32

If someone else pays your bills and mortgage etc can you still claim any benefits? I heard this from a friend the other day one of her parents pays for everything and all she does is put food on the table for her and the kids. Doesn't seem right to me. Any ideas??

chuckeyegg Fri 19-Jul-13 11:27:00

You can claim income support if you have a condition of entitlement ie carer or lone parent. You would need to declare on the form if someone else is paying you bills and they would decide whether any income needs to be taken into account.

dignifiedsilence Fri 19-Jul-13 12:14:43

Thanks chuckeyegg. Yeah she is a lone parent but ALL household bills apart from food are taken care of by her parents. NOt 'telling' on her so to speak lol just was interested to know. She goes abroad every year too and runs a car! Can't be bad eh?

kittycat68 Sat 20-Jul-13 16:37:13

shes lucky to have parents like that that help her!!! sounds to me like you are jelous OP. If her parents pay her bills it is not the same as them giving her money. If for example your parents said we will pay for a holuidayb for you would you say thank you and enjoy yourself or would you declare it as income on your tax return? same thing!

dignifiedsilence Mon 22-Jul-13 13:47:56

Erm kittycat68 your comments are usually why I locate to a 'similar' named website. You are trying to get a rise out of me that so often occurs on here. And I suppose by replying I am helping you to do just that however, as a uk tax payer I am interested to know where my cash goes on people who won't work.........that interests me more. Benefits should be for people who really need them which I believe she doesn't fit into that category.
Maybe you would like to explain why you are attacking me and defending a complete stranger?

PearlyWhites Wed 24-Jul-13 21:48:08

But you do sound jealous OP

Moxiegirl Wed 24-Jul-13 22:24:51

Some people live with parents who pay for everything, they will get the same jsa/is as someone who lives elsewhere and has to pay bills. Just the way it is! Some people have higher outgoings than others.

redshinycar Thu 25-Jul-13 01:17:05

I used to get IS when I was living in my parents' second property, they didn't charge me rent and paid all the bills directly. They would buy my dc clothes and cover car expenses. I told the DWP all of this and it was fine, it was all above board. I still needed the IS/tax credits for food, going out etc.

colditz Thu 25-Jul-13 01:49:51

You should stick to what your username suggests, envy rarely becomes anyone.

tabulahrasa Thu 25-Jul-13 02:31:35

Regular money even if paid straight to companies for bills should be declared as income when claiming any means tested benefits.

The question is right there on the form.

Income support form page 34...Does anyone pay money to someone else on your or your partner's behalf? For example money for gas or electricity bills.

Runningchick123 Thu 25-Jul-13 07:12:05

If somebody lives at home with their parents, doesn't contribute to bills or food and doesn't work then they are still entitled to claim JSA. If they live in their own home and their parents help out it isn't much different.
Seems unfair to those who get JSA and have to pay all their bills, but life isn't fair and its just the way it is. I try to focus on my own life instead of other people's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now