Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how much money do you need each week once all the bills are paid?

(6 Posts)
mancmum Fri 02-Jun-06 21:31:12

Not sure if this has been asked... but I am really amazed at how much money we get thru each week once all the bills are paid (ie gas mortgage, council tax, insurances, TV licence etc)

I am currently trying to live on 200 quid a week which has to cover all food, entertainment, clothes, petrol etc for a family of 4.. and I just can not do it.. this also has to cover house stuff such as new clothes, furniture, decorating etc... am I being niave thinking this is enough?

How much do you allow yourself to get thru the week once all the major bills are paid? Not being nosy -- more interesegtd to know how people survive.. we have just been out for tea and spent 40 quid which is nearly 25% of weekly budget and was not even that nice!

7up Fri 02-Jun-06 21:37:21

myself and my two sons at the moment have £80 a week for food, petrol, clothing and anything else that is needed . trying to clear an overdraught

dyzzidi Fri 02-Jun-06 21:43:05

HI Mancmum

I have had about £120 per week for me and DD aged 6 months (DH is overseas working and he pays for everything when he is home) I have to pay for shopping/petrol/babystuff/ new clothes etc. In fairness apart from the fact my dd is growing so quick and regularly needs new clothes I have been putting savings away out of that.

I have a takeout with friends/familly at leat twice a week. Go out for lunch on at least one weekday and always eat out on a SUnday.

It is easier as obviousley DD can't ask for anything yet and i generally only have myself to please . Have you tried mealplanning or online shopping to keep costs of basics down?

mancmum Fri 02-Jun-06 21:45:36

we are trying to keep food down to 70 quid a week and doing OK ... it is just do easy to get thru the rest -- one meal out and entertainment at weekend for a 6 and 3 year old seem to drain us... just keen to know how people get a new sofa or clothes!!

mancmum Fri 02-Jun-06 21:46:50

sorry Dyzzidi - did not see that was you -- we met a while ago at Stockport -- hope your lovely DD is still doing well!!

PanicPants Fri 02-Jun-06 21:48:07

lots!

But don't have a lot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: