Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do car dealers still expect you to haggle when buying a second hand car?

(6 Posts)
clumsymum Fri 02-Jun-06 10:36:03

Haven't done this for about 7 years, but now changing dh's car. I used to haggle hard, but is it still the done thing?

What about the car supermarkets? One of the cars we're looking at is at Motorpoint, do they haggle about price?

Securlurking Fri 02-Jun-06 10:38:02

Err, I would haggle on a new car too - in fact I would haggle on a new car wing mirror, or just about anything else for that matter. It makes it less galling to spend large amounts of cash if you can walk away knowing you have taken a little profit out of the sales mans pocket

brush of those hagglin shoes IMO!

cece Fri 02-Jun-06 10:41:36

Definitely I try and haggle on everything

clumsymum Fri 02-Jun-06 20:26:54

Right then, off to the dealership tomorrow

Kelly1978 Fri 02-Jun-06 20:56:56

yep, u have to haggle. The dealer wouldn't budge for us, but dp did an ace job last time by saying 'so you're gonna give £x for the trade in' (a few hundred more than the dealer actually said) and success!

SofiaAmes Sat 03-Jun-06 03:40:38

Body language. Leave if you have to and come back another day. Give yourself a few weeks to buy a car and you'll get a good deal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: