Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bloody Barclays

(13 Posts)
nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 20:37:45

I have a resolve loan with Barclays. Originally it was a normal loan but i was struggling with the repayments and overdraft and so they talked me into a resolve loan. I was meant to pay £104 a month over the next 9 years (credit amount £6000).

Anyway when me and Xp split I was again struggling with the repayments so rang them and gave my income and outgoings and it was agreed i'd pay £70 a month. The bloke said it would be temporary for 2 mths. I said thats no good because circumstances would still be the same in 2 mths and he said, no it's just to prove you can afford £70, so you ring us back and we then set it up properly to continue at £70. Great fine wonderful, except that it was bollocks.

I paid the 2mths of £70 and now they have decided that they can only accept £98 a month instead, but they said they are quite aware from my outgoings that I cannot afford this.

They have told me I know have to seek debt advice and get back to them.

WTF

nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 20:46:44

Any advice ??

Am so mad with them. I asked why I had been told the payments would continue at £70 and he said tbh I don't know.

foxinsocks Wed 31-May-06 20:55:48

£104 per month for 9 years is £11232

they are taking the piss telling you one thing then changing their mind

What reasons have they given for the £98?

Is there any likelihood of your income increasing in the near future?

nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 20:57:53

I have just today applied for a job Foxinsocks but it will only make me a few quid a week better off and tbh i'd rather not take it if the extra I get goes to them, after all I have made what I consider to be a reasonable offer and last month was perfectly reasonable to them too.

They are saying that the computer is saying no less than £98 and thats that.

nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 20:58:49

Even though they are admitting that they know I cannot afford £98 a month.

LIZS Wed 31-May-06 21:00:25

You need to get someone independent to negotiate for you like CAB. Is it your own loan or yours and exp's ?

Surfermum Wed 31-May-06 21:01:27

That seems ludicrous. What about speaking to the Manager?

BTW I've packaged up the clothes for you and will try and post them tomorrow at work, if not on Friday.

foxinsocks Wed 31-May-06 21:02:32

computer says noooo - what lovely customer service

Is this your only debt? do you have any credit cards?

I think you should tell them about returning to work even if it won't make you better off in the short term. The fact that you will be earning may make them more likely to let you pay a lower amount on the condition that when your financial situation improves, you will increase your payment to them.

nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 21:26:44

The only other credit type debts I have is a provident loan, which I pay £6 a week on. That finnishes in October.

I have water arrears so at the mo have to pay them £70 a month. Oh and I pay £10 a month cataloge.

Barclays have given me the numbers for National Debtline and Connsumer Credit Counselling so will ring one or both tommorow. Barclays I going to ring me to check up on my progress in a couple of days

The loan is mine only not xp's.

Thanks sufermum

WelshBoris Wed 31-May-06 21:29:35

what the feck do they expect the debt people to do for you? they know how much you can afford to pay

nutcracker Wed 31-May-06 21:30:58

Christ knows. He said with their help I may be able to get the payments lower.

What a stupid arse, they were already lower with their agreement.

WelshBoris Wed 31-May-06 21:33:19

I agree with the poster who said ask to speak to a manager

Maybe they can do something instead of just putting numbers into a stupid machine

puddytats Wed 31-May-06 21:33:44

We are using the cccs(?) a charitable organisation that one of our credit cards suggested, it is recognised by all major financial institutions and have been fantastic.
Consumer credit counselling service. They do not charge fees at all, we pay them a certain amount each month, they keep it till the end of the month to get the interest then negotiate with our creditors over what we can afford. We do not get snotty letters or have to deal with anybody but them

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: