Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Temporary council tax issue

(7 Posts)
jctt Wed 19-Jun-13 21:10:10

I live in London and my mum lives in Scotland. If I go to live with my mum (with my son) for 3-4 months, do I have to pay council tax there? I have a flat which I own and pay council tax for in London so I'm very confused. I guess I don't have to pay council tax in 2 places, but do I have to suspend my council tax in London and register as a temporary resident in Scotland????

Viviennemary Wed 19-Jun-13 21:19:06

As far as I know this will be the position. If you go to live with your mother and she receives the single person discount then she won't receive this if you are living there and are liable to pay council tax unless you will be counted as a temporary visitor. You will still be liable for the council tax in London but might get a temporary property empty discount.

MrsPnut Wed 19-Jun-13 21:26:56

So long as you are paying the council tax on your property, your mum will still receive her single person discount. You are visiting your mum and own a home with the intention to return so you are still registered as a council tax payer in London.

If the council in Scotland ask for your status with regard to residence then the fact you are paying council tax elsewhere will satisfy them.

jctt Wed 19-Jun-13 21:29:11

Thanks Viviennemary, really appreciate it. Basically I am pregnant and need help in the later stages+first month. Would you happen to know what qualifies as a temporary visitor? For me, I think if the roles were reversed and my mum was coming to stay and help me with a new baby in my flat, that wouldn't really be any business of the council. I'm not intending to make my mums my main residence. My life and my sons school is in London. So I'm just not sure if I should be registering with anyone. Surely family must be allowed to help each other out without having to inform the council?

jctt Wed 19-Jun-13 21:32:30

Thanks MrsPnut, that's exactly how it is. I intend to return to my life back in London. Do you think we should just not contact either council and continue paying as normal? My mum does receive single persons discount so she is anxious about getting into trouble.

Viviennemary Wed 19-Jun-13 22:01:29

I think by the strict letter of the law your Mum would lose her single person's discount if you are actually living with her for the three to four months if she informed the Council. But only for that period. However, in the circumstances somebody would have to inform the council you were living here for them to know. You could try contacting the CAB to see if they can explain further. Hope you get sorted out.

specialsubject Sat 22-Jun-13 10:05:16

as noted, contact the council - but as long as you are paying council tax somewhere, it shouldn't be a problem. So you either get an empty property discount for your own place (if one exists), and pay at your mum's, or continue paying at your own place and don't pay at your mum's.

BTW if your house will be empty for four months contact your insurer - you need to make special arrangements, it won't be covered normally for that long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now