Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Question about Road Tax is this legal?

(3 Posts)
Linnet Mon 29-May-06 23:26:20

On Thursday last week I bought my first car. I was supposed to get it today but with it being a bank holiday the garage can't tax it until tomorrow and the man from the garage is going to deliver it to me tomorrow morning at my house.

I have a question about the Road Tax though, My cousin and a friend at work have told me that if they tax it tomorrow, a years tax, the tax will run out at the end of April next year not the end of May. I phoned the garage tonight to query this and the man told me that when he gets it taxed tomorrow it will be valid until May 31st 2007 so I will get my full years tax. But does this not mean that I can't legally drive my car until June 1st? The man said that the new dates for tax are always released two working days before the beginning of a new month so it will be ok, but I'm a bit uneasy about this.

I'm new to this driving malarky having only just passed my test a couple of months ago and I don't have a clue who to believe.

As it happens once the car is delievered tomorrow I'm not actually going to be able to drive it until Thursday anyway as I'm at work for the next two days and can't get out in the evening to drive it as my Dh is working and I don't want to take my kids out with me on my first drive, would rather get a feel for the car on my own if you know what I mean.

So who can tell me, does this mean I can't legally drive the car until June 1st or could I if I wanted to go out in it before then?

SaintofGeorgia Mon 29-May-06 23:29:03

No it will be fine.

The tax disc will be valid until 31/05/07 so assuming insurance etc sorted you can drive it straightaway.

ladymuck Mon 29-May-06 23:29:12

You should be able to pay for the extra day or two of tax - it is fairly common for new cars as they are often sold at the end of the month (to help with the sales figures).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: