Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Signing on, now pregnant

(5 Posts)
Yonididnaedaethat Thu 06-Jun-13 14:18:34

I was made redundant last year so I have been signing on purely for NI contributions, I haven't mentioned to the job centre I'm pregnant. Does anyone know what will happen when I tell my advisor, I'm guessing I'll only be allowed to sign on up to a certain point.....but then what?

Rockchick1984 Thu 06-Jun-13 14:21:46

Does your partner work? That will have a bearing on if you are eligible for any financial assistance. To claim maternity allowance, you need to work for any 26 weeks out of the 66 before your due date.

Once the baby is born and you are claiming child benefit, that will cover the lack of NI contributions until baby turns 12 smile

Yonididnaedaethat Thu 06-Jun-13 14:27:15

Yes he's full time and on a good wage so I know we wouldn't get any other help. I didn't realise about the NI, I already have a one year old so looks like I've probably been trailing him to the job centre for nothing. I think I'll sign off at my next appointment.

Fuckwittery Thu 06-Jun-13 17:05:34

If you have worked been employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before the week your baby is due then you might be eligible for maternity allowance. The 26 weeks don't have to be consecutive. Would that apply to you at all?

Fuckwittery Thu 06-Jun-13 17:06:08

Oops, sorry, just seen rockchick mentioned maternity allowance but link is here
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-maternity-pay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now