Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Thinking of separating need benefit/housing advice?

(14 Posts)
sweetkitty Fri 26-May-06 14:30:06

I am seriously thinking of splitting up with my DP (for reasons I won't go into) thing is I'm a SAHM and haven't a clue about how I would go about applying for a house/benefits etc and how much I would be entitled to.

We both have a mortgage for our home now and a few loans etc so would I need to apply to the local council for a house I would dread this incase they offered me one in a horrible area full of drug dealers, also on the benefit front I don't know what I would be entitled to, I have 2 children under 2 one of the reasons I can't work right now as one is only a baby, the plan would be to get myself sorted then look for a job once the baby was over a year.

butty Fri 26-May-06 14:40:40

Hi Sweetkitty,

Don't really know too much about seperations although a bit about benefits.

first of all, if you were seriously thinking of seperating, had you not considered the fact of staying put where you are and asking DP to leave, i know it sounds harsh, but as you have 2 very young children it would probably cause distress by moving on top of a seperation.

Regarding benefits, you would be entitled to income support, child tax credit and also your child benefit, your DP would also be eligible for child maintenence.

You would be able to apply through income support for help with payments on the mortgage and you would also be exempt from council tax if on the above benefits.

regarding the loans etc... that is something you would have to discuss with DP to try and arrange a payment plan through the companies after telling them about your situ.

Whatever you decide to do, i hope it all works out.

dinosaure Fri 26-May-06 14:44:34

sweetkitty, so sorry to hear this (I remember you from the July/August 2004 thread). I haven't got any info about benefits, but I just wanted to send my best wishes.

spacecadet Fri 26-May-06 14:49:03

sweetkitty-ive recently gone through this mindfield.
you would need to advise tax credits that you were seperating, they are responsible for payments to support your children, you would also be entitled to the single persons element of income support, ring your local dss office or viosit a job centre plus for both application forms. i dont know how much in the way of tax credits you would get for 2 children, income support is roughly 56 pounds per week.
contact your local council offices for a housing benefit form. while on benefits you would also be entitled to free prescriptions, eye tests etc and free milk because you have children under 5.

ScummyMummy Fri 26-May-06 14:54:57

Aw, sweetkitty. So sorry to hear this. It must be a horrible time. Do you think salvaging the relationship is possible or is this pretty definite?

Citizens Advice Bureau are good on advising about the practicalities of a split. Is there one near you? I agree with butty on the staying put if possible bit. Getting a council house is usually a very long process and, depending on where you are in the country you may have to go into some temporary accommodation first- e.g. b&b or hostel. If you have significant equity from a joint mortgage you may not be eligible for public sector housing at all in practice, I'm afraid.

expatinscotland Fri 26-May-06 14:56:45

You'll need to speak w/your DP re: your house, if you are on the loan you are legally liable for the payments same as he is. Ditto any other loans held in joint account.

Housing benefit is for renters.

Excepting DLA, benefits are means-tested and you'll be required to pursue your partner for maintenance, which will affect your level of benefit.

I can't speak for your council, but in ours, whilst a homeless family does get top priority, they are of course preceded by those who develop a disability which renders them unable to reach or live in their present accommodation. BUT, if you refuse what is offered more than twice, you will lose that priority. And the pickings are very, very slim. Can't say there's anything left in nice areas anymore - that's all been sold off.

In your situation, as you cannot work, the best option would be to sell the house, use the proceeds to pay off your debts, and go from there, and ANY profit you have left from the house can and will affect your level of benefit.

See a housing officer for best advice.

slinkstah Fri 26-May-06 14:58:03

you should try and get your dp to pay the mortgage for you.
getting a council house can be a complete nightmare, often you won't have high enough points to be rehoused until you are homeless, then they will shove you in a hostel until they house you, by that time you will be desperate for a rough council estate to live on.
about benefits you would get 55 quid income support 70 quid child tax credit and 27 quid child benefit (figures are all completely aprox but in the right ball park i'd say)
Dp would have to pay maintenance which you would not recieve whilst on income support.
you would get full council tax benefit and full housing benefit if moved to rented place.
you would also be able to get free milk tokens and perscriptions too

if you sold the house would the equity cover the loans? if not a payment plan with the loan people people is your best bet


slinkstah Fri 26-May-06 15:03:41

on second thoughts
apply for a council house as homeless now, say you are living at friends house get all post sent there. make sure you say you and 2 kids are sleeping on friends sofa etc.
this will be a quicker way to get on the council high priority list.

expatinscotland Fri 26-May-06 15:07:40

'apply for a council house as homeless now, say you are living at friends house get all post sent there. make sure you say you and 2 kids are sleeping on friends sofa etc.
this will be a quicker way to get on the council high priority list. '

and also in the case of my SIL, found out by the council when a housing officer came to the friend's house to do a spot check.

she got in BIG trouble.

slinkstah Fri 26-May-06 15:14:05

yes is a risk that might happen but desperate times may call for desperate measures.

sweetkitty Sat 27-May-06 13:02:13

Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place! Doesn't help that DP was saying he has been looking at houses he could afford on his salary. So if the worst came to the worst the kids and I would be in a B&B or hostel or at best a dodgy council house and he would get a nice new house, so bloody unfair.

I'm not snobby about council houses btw I grew up in one it's just around here they are all in well dodgy areas as expat pointed out all the good areas have been sold off so it's only really tower blocks that are left and they aren't called "Heroin Heights" for nothing! I never ever thought it would come to me being a single mum on benefits

I suppose I have to sit it out for a while then.

dinosaure Sat 27-May-06 18:01:55

sweetkitty, that would be terribly unfair - would you DH really not be prepared to move out and let you and the kids live in your house?

Thinking of you, chuck - hope you're okay.

sparklemagic Sat 27-May-06 18:30:14

sweetkitty, have you thought of having a free half hour with a solicitor to let you know your rights in this situation? You may have more than you think, specially if the kids are his? Have you been together long?

I wouldn't go anywhere in a's your house too; get legal advice asap, you could find he will have to help more than you might think?!

sunnydelight Tue 30-May-06 20:41:20

Your nearest CAB is your best bet as they will be able to tell you which benefits you would be entitled to. Your housing situation will be the biggest issue; if you are married the Matrimonial Homes Act will apply so it should be possible for you to stay in the house with your children - you do need a solicitor for advice on this though. Contrary to popular belief you do not have the same rights if you are not married. Housing benefit is not an option for you as, as someone already said, it only applies if you are renting - it stopped covering mortgages many years ago! Also, as long as you have a home it is unlikely the council will even put you on their list. Remember if you were to agree to sell the house and split any profit this will affect your benefit entitlement - it's a long time since I worked in the area of benefits but it used to be anything over £2,000 savings counted. Above all though, do not leave the house! Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: