Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it illegal or just stupid to..

(13 Posts)
bluebear Thu 25-May-06 21:21:35

Put a forward facing child car seat (high backed booster) in the front seat of a car (no air bag) for a 5 year old?

Dh says it's illegal - and that even if it isn't then the risks are greater than if the seat is in the back. Trying to work out how to transport children during half term.

Thanks

TheMammy Thu 25-May-06 21:22:43

I don't think it's illegal. My neighbour is a single parent and as there is only ever her and her dd in the car, the seat stays in the front all the time HTH.

Whizzz Thu 25-May-06 21:22:46

here is the link

sallystrawberry Thu 25-May-06 21:23:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Thu 25-May-06 21:23:44

not illegal but not the safest position.

stitch Thu 25-May-06 21:23:52

why would it be illegal?

Twinkie1 Thu 25-May-06 21:25:12

Not sure that it is illegal but you shouldn;t put kids in the front of cars ROSPA says in the middle back seat of you have adequate restraints or at the very least in the back as there is less chance of them being hurt in an accident.

Had to do lots of research on this to stop XH putting DD in the front of car - he wanted printed proof that it was bad!!!

grumpyfrumpy Thu 25-May-06 21:27:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bubbles4 Thu 25-May-06 21:30:08

do you know as from september all kids under 42 inches in height have to use a booster seat in cars

tenalady Thu 25-May-06 21:30:21

MMmm I was worried about this and asked at the local police station. No it isnt illegal to transport the child in the front although the back is preferable first choice. I have a soft top and I feel safer with my ds next to me at the front just in case a tree fell or he was catapulted through it.

misdee Thu 25-May-06 21:31:05

dd1 sits in the front of my car in a high back booster. not ideal, but i cant afford to run the bigger car each day.

bluebear Thu 25-May-06 21:31:40

Thanks all - we don't have room for them all in the back - was hoping to get the two under-2's in the back, and let ds sit in the front with the seat pushed back - can't fit his seat in between the girls in the back. - otherwise we are stuck with the bus, which dd is afraid of since the bus driver shut the door on ds and hurt him.

We are looking for a bigger car - but only 2 of the children are ours, other shares the nanny with us, and we also have nanny's own baby sometimes - dh wants a people mover to get them all aboard with none in the front.

bluebear Thu 25-May-06 21:34:06

Great site by the way Whizzz, I'll show it to dh, and see what he says.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: