Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

dh's job has been downgraded - with a pay cut of......

(21 Posts)
unicorn Wed 24-May-06 19:50:24

12,000, in 4 years time.

had a pay restructuring/regrading for dept, and this what he has come out with.
Is there anything he can be do?

(the unions were part of the process - but I don't think anticipated this!)

morningpaper Wed 24-May-06 19:57:26

NHS?

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 19:59:47

you as well mp?
It is crazy.

morningpaper Wed 24-May-06 20:14:30

is he senior manager?

mousiemousie Wed 24-May-06 20:17:22

4 years is quite a long time into the future - is he likely or unlikely to have moved job by then, unicorn?

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 20:25:41

possibly will now... but in the interim what message is it giving out basically he isn't worth the money he is being paid?!

He is seriously pissed off - as are his colleagues... and NO he isn't earning big bucks to start with (he isn't a manager)

morningpaper Wed 24-May-06 20:27:24

ah

senior managers can opt out

others are buggered

sorry

I don't work in the nhs but i have friends who do

mousiemousie Wed 24-May-06 20:35:13

£12k is a huge drop - has he followed the appeals process for agenda for change?

Is the new salary obviously a long way adrift from his market value to other employees? If so then I think the situation will resolve itself over the next 12 months.

What a mightmare, sorry you are having to go through this

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 20:46:18

the pay cut is way way below his market value/experience.

Frankly it is abominable how they can do this. I for one am not lying down and taking it.
dh is seriously down (as you would be)

mousiemousie Wed 24-May-06 20:52:42

A4C was not designed to create this sort of situation as it will make it impossible for hospitals to recruit certain types of staff if this kind of result occurs. So, one approach would be to not get too fussed right now as I think this decision will be reversed within the next 12 months because of recruitment problems which will follow if not.

Easy to say it will all work out but clearly that is not guarenteed so of course it is also possible to try to overturn the decision in the short term - there are strict processes to be followed for appeals. Unions are involved but nhs unions are rubbish now ime. If dp is part of a large group of staff who were assessed together then taking his case forward will be easier than if his post is a one-off. What is his discipline, presumably not nursing or medical?

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 20:57:19

computing!
what is a4c? what's it all about and where can we read up on it?

mousiemousie Wed 24-May-06 21:07:30

a4c = health service jargon for agenda for change, the national pay review that I am assuming is behind your dh's regrading.

The nhs publications will have stuff about it as will professional bodies with affected members - the DoH website probably does too. Dh should have already received notification of the appeals procedure. I would also expect that his boss would be unhappy with this result and would have discussed it - has that happened?

nicnack2 Wed 24-May-06 21:10:33

our council has just tried to implement restructuring with pay cuts and rises. There should be a period of consultation and right to appeal. The unions should be able to help. My Council has delayed its pay restruct for the moment

mousiemousie Wed 24-May-06 21:11:17

I work for the nhs and there are inumerable briefings and Q&A sessions going on all the time for all staff, and have been for over 12 months in my organisation - dh should have ready access to a lot of information at work but it is harder for you to get the access to be able to support him, unicorn

Does dh not have the appeals procedure at hand?

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 21:17:14

not really I think he is shell shocked at the minute.
He was given this information in a short meeting with line manager who handed everyone their letters (with details of downgrades)- the boss of course not being downgraded - but would you want to be responsible for a group of blokes told they weren't worth the money they were being paid!?

(it is academia not the nhs I am now informed - it's a university body attached to the NHS)

Posey Wed 24-May-06 21:21:36

This thread?

unicorn Wed 24-May-06 21:22:46

indeed!
we are a bit gobsmacked tonight.

Posey Wed 24-May-06 21:59:38

Just spoken to dh. He's going to email you (probably tonight if he's not too busy) if not will be tomorrow.

bucksmum Wed 24-May-06 22:21:32

Under a4c you have 3 months to appeal against your banding you would probably have to fillin a JAQ plus put in a detailed jb description make sure you put absolutely you do even if it seems trivial

unicorn Thu 25-May-06 07:39:54

dh tells me he has...10 days to appeal!
* That has to be wrong surely?

He is going to get in touch with union this morning and find out what they are planning to do (if anything)

morningpaper Thu 25-May-06 11:01:46

That doesn't sound right unicorn, but the appeals process is quite normal, if not expected, in these circumstances. "Appeal" isn't as scary as it sounds, it just means trying to match the job again in more detail. He will probably have to complete a 4,000 page form. I would't worry too much yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: