Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Renting paying with Housing Benefit and living with 27 year old brother who claims JSA

(8 Posts)
LittleDonkin Fri 24-May-13 22:18:11

This post may be long winded and I m completely new to benefits, councils and renting!!!!

I am currently in military temporary housing in Wiltshire after separating from my husband who is in the forces. I am priority group 1 with my local council up north as I am homeless. I have a 2 year old DD and I am currently 25 weeks pg with DD 2 and I am classed as high risk as I have placenta praevia.

I have claimed for Income support, housing benefit and Child tax credits but my quandary is really about housing.

A property has come up through a friend of a friend which is a 4 bed in the perfect location for me, The LL is more than happy to accept HB and they will also allow my 2 large dogs and I love it. My housing benefit wouldn't cover all the rent so my real question is can my brother also claim HB as he would be living with me as an over 25 non dependant who claims JSA. He is having issues at home and has been asked to leave. I understand I would take a slight cut in my housing benefit if he lived there.

I don't know weather to hold fire and see how fast the council come up with a 2 bed for me and my girls but the rented property could also help my brother out.

AtAmber Fri 24-May-13 22:29:54

If he is a non dependant on your claim he can't claim HB. He could claim if you were joint tenants, but would only get the LHA rate for a bedsit or room in a shared house. You would then get the LHA rate for a 2 bed property. If he was your non dep you would get the 3 bed LHA rate but with a non dep deduction based on his JSA which is £13.80.

LittleDonkin Fri 24-May-13 22:33:25

Thank you for that so which way would be best to do it? I want to be very upfront with the council and the LL and only get what we are entitled to

AtAmber Fri 24-May-13 22:39:42

It's probably easier for you to claim with him as a non dep. it can get a bit complicated with separate claims, especially if you're being charged different amounts of rent. Your council website will tell you what your LHA rate will be. If he is your non dep and starts work, the deductions would increase though. I hope this makes sense, I've had wine!

LittleDonkin Sat 25-May-13 13:58:53

Another question! If my brother did live with me it would only affect my housing benefit wouldn't it? Not my income support or Child tax credits as we are not partners we are brother and sister!!!!!!

AtAmber Sat 25-May-13 18:03:26

No, just your housing benefit. You need to check with your local council about non dep deductions for Council Tax Support. There are usually no deductions for someone on jsa but the rules have changed since April so each council's rules for Council Tax Support are different. I've had wine again sorry. I've just got home from taking 7 six year olds to the cinema!!

Viviennemary Mon 27-May-13 21:58:03

I think it could affect your other benefits like Income Support and so on if he is going to become part of your household rather than just a temporary guest.

Chanatan Tue 28-May-13 12:58:11

It wont affect her income support,its the same as if she had an adult child who was working living at home,they are classed as non-dependants and will affect housing benefit,the amount affected will depend on the income of the non-dependant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: