Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

had a prang in car and don't think I'm insured, help please...

(16 Posts)
manitz Tue 23-May-06 08:41:49

OK had a prang yesterday. cracked my bumper but didn't smash any llights so still roadworthy etc but ripped back bumper off the car i hit which was a mini cab.

I think it was my fault and am so annoyed with myself. But i'm not sure if i'm insured. I moved 9 months ago and have insurance but for 5000 miles per year as we used to live in zone 2 in london and used public transport except for holiday sand supermarket. Since I moved I don't think I changed the insurance as I'm still camping at parents and living out of boxes also as I'm commuting to my life Ive done 13,000 miles in 1 and half years.

Does anyone know? Dh says to lie to insurance co aobut mileage but I hate lying about anything. Be grateful for help or advice...

Twiglett Tue 23-May-06 08:49:04

I don't think they actually ask about mileage for insurance claims .. do they?

I don't think I'd lie .. because you'd only be caught out

(I was all ready to slate you for driving without insurance )

pucca Tue 23-May-06 08:51:30

I had a accident last year, and when i rang the insurance company nothing was mentioned about mileage at all...i think you will be fine.

HTH

Bozza Tue 23-May-06 08:52:41

I recently had to make a claim - only a small one on my own car and they never asked for details of mileage. So personally I would just go ahead and claim.

quanglewangle Tue 23-May-06 08:56:17

Agree with everyone - they won't ask about mileage. I slid down an icy hill once and it didn't do the car much good, they didn't even mention it.

manitz Tue 23-May-06 09:04:07

thanks (twiglett I know, I hate people who drive w/o insurance and then realise that in effect I might be oops).

They did ask about my milage on the phone and so I presumed it would be on the claims form. Do you all have insurance that is based on restricted mileage. They might be more inclined to in that case otherwise it's not worth charging less for it??

I'm hoping that if they do ask and I'm honest they'll just say I've been underpaying on my premiums and not consider me uninsured? haven't had a crash with anything moving since I was 17 and am gutted btw.

katzg Tue 23-May-06 09:09:17

we have restricted mileage on our insurance for 12000, i think if we exceed it then our excesses go up, you should be insured.

Freckle Tue 23-May-06 09:19:53

Check your policy. If you have restricted mileage insurance, it should state what happens if you exceed the mileage limitation.

AllieBongo Tue 23-May-06 09:36:17

the only problem you may have is that you didn't tell them about your change of address. Unless you told them the mileage reading of your car at inception you may get away with it, but it usually shows on the MOT so beware! It shouldn't invalidate your policy, all they may do is ask you to pay the additional premium for increased milage and any change of address rating increase. At least if you've moved out of the city centre that is most likely to be a lower rated area, so that could be in your favour. HTH. I used to be a motor insurance underwriter so if you have any more questions, just let me know!

manitz Tue 23-May-06 09:38:00

thanks very much, am feeling a bit calmer now. now all i have to do is find the paperwork...hmm..

AllieBongo Tue 23-May-06 09:39:01

you'll be fine. You haven't willingly tried to defraud them. You should have seen some of the crap I used to get..Banned from driving, car written of previously etc etc

manitz Tue 23-May-06 09:49:07

Allibongo
Thanks, I posted before seing your post. I did manage to tell them the change of address but it didn't occur to me to change the amount of mileage as we werent expecting increased car usage - am living at parents in next town to my house was expecting this for four weeks but it's now been 9 months - so in our normal lives everthing would have been in walking distance.

I also am pretty sure we toldthem mileage when we bought the car. I just don't believe lying will help anything in this case but the worse case scenario is if we find we weren't insured as the guy is a cabbie (not black cab) and wants a leased car until his is fixed etc etc. I'm not totally convinced he was insured anyway though as he wouldn't tell me his insurance co - although that might be cos he wasn't that good at english and didn't understand.

AllieBongo Tue 23-May-06 09:56:09

probably not.. stands on the street shouting "you want minicab"
most limited mileage policies just give you a discount so, like I said, you may just have to cough up a little extra

manitz Tue 23-May-06 12:12:06

ah he has got insurance, a lawyer just called on his behalf and said I wasn't insured (made me a little more paranoid) but he had wrong reg no. This lawyer called my mobile and I called back to find out who it was and they said they dealt with personal injury. Hope he's not going to do some whiplash thing. Will now stop slandering the poor man

Thanks again for all the help.

AllieBongo Tue 23-May-06 12:21:32

he's probably trying to milk it as he's self-employed, loss of earnings etc.. they all do it

manitz Thu 25-May-06 19:39:06

well i've had a letter from his solicitor and he's apparently got damage to the soft tissue in his back and neck. jesus it's amazing what a car can do at four miles an hour. all that jumping around tying up the bumper can't have done it any good either.

also have rung insurance co and fessed up. they laughed and all is well. thanks again for everyone's help. yet again my heart attack has been diverted by mn.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: