Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Council Tax problem

(9 Posts)
Solero Fri 17-May-13 18:41:55

Hi I recently received a bill for £500 council tax on a property I have never owned or lived at. I runs from 30/08/2004 and 01/04/2005. I have written to them providing details of addresses I have lived at since 2000 but this doesn't appear to be enough. They have magically obtained a tenancy agreement linked to the address concerned in the name D N Johnson with my signature on it. However it is clearly not my handwriting or my signature. what do I do next? As the are claiming i need to start paying or face the bailiffs or court proceedings. Am 7 months pregnant and I just don't need this stress or anxiety.

mikkii Fri 17-May-13 18:45:51

Ask them to justify why they believe it to be you who is responsible for the debt. I suspect it has been passed to debt collectors and your name matches. Is the property anywhere close to where you lived? If not, and you still have the same employer, would they write a letter confirming your then address?

Solero Fri 17-May-13 18:49:55

Its in the same city but miles away from where I have lived. I provided a solicitors letter and a letter form the mortgage company when i bought my current home but these seem to be insufficient to prove I am not liable for this property. Its so frustrating

Shattereddreams Fri 17-May-13 18:56:23

I'd say let them proceed to court. They will lose. Put everything in writing to them, post it recorded and tell them to eff off.

Similar sort of thing happened to my step dad who got summoned to court where the council didn't turn up even.
Don't stress, you know you did nothing wrong. Truth will out.

The tenency agreement - have they given you a copy? Or just referrd to it? Get a copy. It should state who the landlords are. You can write to the, as well try to get them onside.

Solero Fri 17-May-13 19:15:38

The tenancy agreement has been sent to me but its a copy of a copy with very little info on it. Looks suspect to me.

Chanatan Fri 17-May-13 19:25:29

Have you googled the name of the people who sent it to you?If they are a debt collection agency,they could well be on a fishing trip,your name matches the name of the person that they are actually looking for,so they send you a letter just in case you are that person.
Theres a lot of info with how to deal with a dca here

Solero Fri 17-May-13 19:28:30

Its actually Liverpool City Council themselves. I find it hard to get why i am the one who has to prove my innocence, no they that has to prove beyond doubt that it's actually me.

Chanatan Fri 17-May-13 20:31:21

They cant send the bailiffs in until they have a court order.Did you keep a copy of the letter you originally sent them,I would be tempted to resend it and if they persist,let it go to court.

Solero Fri 17-May-13 20:36:32

yeh I have kept copies of everything just in case it does go to court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now