Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Single person council tax reduction/students

(4 Posts)
oldfatandtired1 Thu 16-May-13 13:09:49

My husband left for OW more than a year ago. I had his name removed from the council tax bill but did not request the single person reduction as my 22 year old son was living with me. He is now moving to a town 100 miles away for work so will be leaving home next week. I also have a 20 year old son who is away at University but returns home during the holidays - does he "count" as living at the family home or not?

And yes, I know I have to ask the Council - I've been trying to ring them all morning and no blooming reply!

TheRealFellatio Thu 16-May-13 13:12:30

If your son is in full time education then he will not have to pay, wherever he lives, so no, he won't count. It's only based on the number of eligible earners in the household.

TheRealFellatio Thu 16-May-13 13:13:39

and presumably your son has a CT exemption from the address he lives at while at uni, so technically I suppose he is just a temporary guest when staying with you, not a permanent resident.

oldfatandtired1 Thu 16-May-13 13:29:11

Thank you, that's a great help! (Still on the line to the Council . . .)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now