Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Direct debit - only found out today that cancelling it doesn't mean it stays cancelled

(8 Posts)
Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 11:13:37

It is probably my own fault, but thought I'd post this to raise awareness in case there are others like me who didn't know blush

I had an annual subscription to a magazine. I cancelled the dd before the renewal was due as I was bored with the title.

I found today that the magazine publishers just raised another dd and took the money. Apparently, this is within their rights.

I've asked nicely if they will refund, but am a bit miffed.

RooneyMara Thu 16-May-13 11:14:23

No it's not within their rights afaik and you need to contact your bank. You're entitled to a full refund.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 16-May-13 11:22:38

you should always cancel with the receiver of the direct debit as well as the bank so they dont claim for it again. I would still contact your bank as it should be covered under the direct debit guarantee - your bank should give you the money back and then claim it back from the company who claimed the direct debit.

Summerloading Thu 16-May-13 11:36:41

That's good to know. I'll give it a few days and if I get nowhere will contact my bank.

Summerloading Fri 17-May-13 14:33:49

Have just heard back from the publishers - they are refusing to refund as they say it's in the original sub contract that I must give 28 days notice to cancel.

They have offered to transfer to another title or gift it to someone else.

Looks like I wil have to try the bank sad angry

Chandon Fri 17-May-13 15:26:55

You do have to give notice of cancellation, not just cancel the DD, but I guess you found that out.

You have to " formally" end the subscription, either through a phone call ( ask for a reference number) or by post/ mail ( they should send confirmation).

That is just how it works.

Summerloading Fri 17-May-13 16:02:06

You're probably right, Chandon. It's just that I cancelled some other subscriptions at the same time and in each case, the publisher wrote to ask if I wanted to renew as the DD had been cancelled.

I didn't know I had to formally request not to renew, but in hindsight, I guess I should have read all the small print.

Better still, I will never subscribe to another newspaper/magazine/anything else with a DD again. It really worries me that it is possible for someone to raise another DD without asking first.

zipzap Fri 17-May-13 16:21:13

I guess from the magazine's point of view, they don't know if they haven't received their money because the bank screwed up or there wasn't enough money in your account or some other reason.

Their systems will still be sending out the magazines to you because there is nothing on their system to tell it that you don't want the mag anymore; the banks won't notify the other party that you have cancelled the dd, their systems don't all nicely integrate even though it would be nice if they did!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now