Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nest eggs

(4 Posts)
Chippychop Wed 15-May-13 20:42:22

Have you got one? If so how much is it- and where are you life stage or how much would you consider it should be?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 16-May-13 10:27:12

Yes... I live in it. smile I'm late forties so past the high-cost years of early child-care but staring university fees in the face. I have about six months' living costs saved in easy-access places & some longer term investments, a fairly healthy pension pot but by far the biggest chunk of money (and the best return on investment) is the bricks and mortar I call home.

Chippychop Fri 17-May-13 15:47:17

Gosh that's a healthy situation. Thx for sharing. I just need a reality check to stop spending and invest in a rainy day nest egg fund

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 18-May-13 09:00:18

Best tip is to 'pay yourself first'... I get paid on around the 20th and a couple of days later I put 10% of my salary into a savings account. Then I budget round the rest, pay all the DDs, pay the CCs off in full etc, and any 'spare' at the end of the month goes into the savings account. (Conversely, if there any rainy-day emergencies I can use the savings) Once the savings are looking reasonably healthy I tip the balance into a Cash ISA and start over.

Do you have any outstanding debts, or CC balances? Best to pay those off first before building up nest eggs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now