Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone know lots about tax credits?

(9 Posts)
Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 13:01:51

First time ive applied as me and h are separated.

They have put a large amount in my bank today which they say is correct plus a large weekly award.

Im a bit sceptical that theyve made a massive overpayment

So as a single parent with 3 children under 18, working 30hrs per week earning 21k and paying £600pm childcare what would you expect i woukd get?

Tbh cant see why anyone would get married if they knew theyd get paid this much grin

13loki Wed 15-May-13 13:08:44

Just did the calculation, about £11500 this year if it started today, but you are a month into the tax year, so a bit over £12500 a year?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 15-May-13 15:17:33

Did you check the number using the www.turn2us.org.uk benefits checker?

morethanpotatoprints Wed 15-May-13 15:23:39

Mosschops.

I'm no expert but that sounds about right. Do remember that if they do overpay you they can't ask for more than 40% back from your award each month. It does make sense to check though and obviously inform them of any changes to your situation. If you go on the website it gives you a list of changes to inform them about. This will hopefully keep any under or over payment to a minimum.
Yes it does seem a lot of money, but you will need this. Good luck in your new life direction. I hope you are ok and managing. thanks

Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 17:39:30

That's £250 per week! It's so much, it's like a whole income.
I am flabbergasted grin

RedHelenB Wed 15-May-13 17:42:28

I think it sounds too much as I get less & earn 1/3 of what you do although my childcare is less. Have you a figure that shows what the childcare bit is?

Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 18:36:53

I don't have the letter yet, just payment into my account.
I daren't do anything with it

ivykaty44 Wed 15-May-13 18:44:05

they can't overpay you untilt he year is up - so if you think you are being over paid don't touch the extra they are paying you.

one year they decided to pay me twice a week from April through to September - I just left the second payment each week and never touched it. Come September they wrote to me and said they were altering my payments - and they reduced them considerably - but it didn't matter as I hadn't touched the extra in the bank.

Mosschops don't forget they will have to pay you from when you applied so it maybe more than one weeks money in the account

go on to an online calculator and put in your details and see how much that comes to - then as I say if its to much put the money aside

Mosschops30 Wed 15-May-13 19:19:37

I think I'm gonna put it all in my ISA for now, tempting as it is to clear my credit cards with the initial payment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now