Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Childcare element of tax credits...what if your childcare costs are more for certain parts of the year ??

(10 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 20:07:38

Am thinking of applying for a job and would need childcare for Ds all year round but only for the girls in the school hols.

Would i be able to claim for the childcare for the girls or not ???

1973magpie Sun 21-May-06 20:34:48

As far as I remember you add up how much all your childcare is for the whole year, and then divide it by 52 to get an average weekly amount.

However, I only have one child so am not sure whether it would be the same for more than one. HTH

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 21:10:17

Ok, thankyou, will try and ring them and ask.

charliecat Sun 21-May-06 21:13:10

If you have recently had the big bump off them, rake it out, they explain it in there, but it is the whole year divided by 52, so you would need to put it by for the hols.

Bozza Sun 21-May-06 21:14:34

nutty this must be fairly usual. I do pay for childcare for DS during the termtime but it more than doubles in the holidays.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 21:15:09

Oh i see, thats great, am all excited now

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 21:16:05

How do you find somewhere that will only have them in the hols without having to pay for the space all year round though.

God it is so complicated and i haven't even applied yet.

Bozza Sun 21-May-06 21:24:03

Nutty DS goes to a childminder. He goes before and after school 3x a week. And it is £3/hour. I pay for 3.5 hours but usually only use 3 so that is £10.50. In the holidays he goes all day but she only charges £2.60/hr.

Is there a holiday club attached to the school?

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 21:28:50

There is yes but it only operates for so many weeks of the hols. Might be enough though, will have to check that out too.

ThePrisoner Mon 22-May-06 22:11:11

As a childminder, I've had children who have come just term-time or just school holidays (or both, which obviously costs more in the school holidays), and the parents have been able to claim their childcare allowances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: