Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need my P60 to claim Tax credits.

(7 Posts)
CosmicG Mon 13-May-13 20:10:03

I'm making a claim for WTC. I need to tell them my income for the year ending April 2013. This would be on my P60 but I haven't received this. Tax credits helpline said that my last employer should have given me this but they haven't. I was on maternity leave last year till Oct. I resigned from that job and since then have been on benefits. My employer had already sent me a P60 for year ending April 2012. I am confused as to where i get this P60 from as the last time I actually worked for them was Dec 2011. Then I received Statutory Maternity Pay till I resigned in Oct 2012.

Oodsigma Mon 13-May-13 20:20:18

If you were unemployed did you get a P45? Will they accept this?

AnnoyingOrange Mon 13-May-13 20:21:27

See here

P60 / P60U
This is the best source of information about employment income for a previous tax year for all employees who worked for a PAYE-registered employer at the end of the tax year.

If the customer has had more than one job during the tax year and such employments have been consecutive he will only receive a P60 from the employer for whom he is working at 5 April. If a customer is unemployed and claiming Income Support (IS), Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) at 5 April he should receive a P60U showing both taxable benefit and his previous earnings.

If, for some reason, the P60 or P60U doesn’t include previous pay and tax details, the customer will need to refer to the P45 or P45U received when he ceased a previous employment or ended a claim to benefit.

Note: If the customer works for an employer that isn’t registered for PAYE purposes they won’t receive a P60 for that job, so further earnings details will need to be sought for that particular job.

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 13-May-13 20:54:16

If you were on maternity leave until October 2012 then you should have received a P45 when you resigned unless for some reason you are still registered as in their books.

If that is the case then you should receive a P60 by 31st May.

CosmicG Mon 13-May-13 20:55:33

No p45. Don't think i was sent one.

Website is helpful, thanks orange.

I think i will add up all my payslips dating back to April las year. But then, am i supposed to add that figure to the benefits i have received over that same tax year?

CosmicG Mon 13-May-13 21:01:25

its ok, i've actually found mt total pay to date figure on my last now its just a matter of adding that amount to the amount i have received in benefits i guess :-/

CosmicG Mon 13-May-13 21:01:49


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: