Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do you work out the P&P for selling on ebay?

(10 Posts)
tracyk Sun 21-May-06 12:31:42

I have a growing box with stuff I want to get rid of on ebay.
Can you buy cheapish weighing scales to work out P&P - do you guess - or get the stuff weighed at the PO?

serenity Sun 21-May-06 12:34:40

I weigh it on ordinary electronic kitchen scales and the look up the price here I then round the figure up to the nearest £1 or .50 to take into account packaging.

HTH

Riddo Sun 21-May-06 13:23:41

Same as serenity. I've got caught out a couple of times with my cards as I only charge 10p per extra card and I ended up spending more on p7p than I'd charged.

Laura032004 Mon 22-May-06 12:44:27

If I can weigh it on my kitchen scales, then I do. Anything heavier I take to the PO. I then check how much it will cost on the PO website. I buy special mailing bags (from E-bay) so I add on the cost of these, and then round up to nearest 50p. I've occasionally undercharged, but not often. After a while you get the hang of what certain things will cost to post, and can just guesstimate it.

Laura032004 Mon 22-May-06 12:44:43

If I can weigh it on my kitchen scales, then I do. Anything heavier I take to the PO. I then check how much it will cost on the PO website. I buy special mailing bags (from E-bay) so I add on the cost of these, and then round up to nearest 50p. I've occasionally undercharged, but not often. After a while you get the hang of what certain things will cost to post, and can just guesstimate it.

cece Mon 22-May-06 12:48:01

I do the same.

Fimbo Mon 22-May-06 12:49:18

Ha, I have just had a "falling out" with someone on Ebay over p & p!! The item was listed as being £2.50 p & p which was fair enough but in reality only cost £0.37 - I was livid! It is very underhand if you ask me and is a good way to make an extra buck. I left positive feed back but said I was ripped off over postage, she came back and said I shouldn't bid on things unless I am happy with the total cost!

pootlepod Mon 22-May-06 13:09:14

I weigh and round up too. Also take into account cost of mailing bags. I also tend to check against similar items so I can see if it's fair, I try to make it a bit cheaper to make my item more competitive.

I think the reason people add a lot to postage charges is because they don't pay ebay fees on that part. They assume that buyers will bid a bit less on the actual cost of the item (though don't mind if they don't!).

Laura032004 Mon 22-May-06 13:09:59

I have to say, I go with the theory that if you're not happy with the total cost, then don't bid in the first place. However, it's annoying when you think it 'might' cost that much to post, and then it is nothing like that amount (e.g. they could have spent £1 or so on bubble wrap etc).

Remember the cost of mailing bags / jiffy bags. If you buy them singly at the PO they can be nearly £1 each. Also, Ebay do allow you to add in some amount for 'travel' etc to the PO. Not such an issue if you're selling a lot of things, but if you're making a one-off trip for an item the cost of petrol/parking etc can add up.

Fimbo Mon 22-May-06 13:13:36

I suppose you have a point Laura, but it was wrapped in a plastic bag! Another person left feedback saying the same as me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: