Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£100 per week better off apart and one less adult.

(84 Posts)
Offred Fri 03-May-13 17:11:49

My husband is a supposed high earner.

I have just checked how money would be if we split, I would have to claim benefits as young children and currently studying.

After he has paid tax our income for six is £100 less per WEEK than we would get if he left and I claimed benefits. Surely this isn't correct? This is without CSA payments and we wouldn't have the expense of feeding him and paying his bills...

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 04-May-13 07:27:59

If he's only paid £6k tax on a £49k income you are looking at one hell of a bill for tax arrears.... hmm Presume he's registered for self-assessment to deal with the High Income CB charge?

Even if your current family income is £500/week and your benefits would amount to £600/week I still think it would cost your 'ex' far more than £400/month to live independently.

JakeBullet Sat 04-May-13 07:28:37

You say you are not benefit bashing, okay but what exactly is your point here.

I only have one child and prior to being in benefits I had a job which paid £14,500. I am now in benefits and am significantly worse off.....even allowing for housing benefit and council tax benefit. In fact since benefit changes I am even worse off as I now contribute to the council tax.

My income is nothing like £500 a week (I wish) AND that includes extra disability payments as my son is autistic.

You are anonymous here so I cannot understand why you cannot share the information you are being asked for.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-May-13 11:24:01

I dont think your figures are right, there is a cal in place now where you cant claim more than £25k in benefits and gross that does not equal a higher rate ta layer. It can only go above £25k if you claim WTC or disability.

Many are better off though on benefits than working hence the cap. A single person in a cheap area with one child could get

£80 CB
£240 tax credits
£280 inome suppport
£80 council tax help
£350 rent

Thats around £12k net for not working. Play around with the figures on entitled to and add higher rents or more children and its very easy to see why many choose to live on benefits rather than work.

Surely though OP you are proud that your support your children yourselves and dont want them to grow up on benefits. Studies linked to FSM show tha children fare worse on benefits hence the pupil premium paid to schools for those qualifying children.

JakeBullet Sat 04-May-13 13:03:09

Income support is not £280 a month HappyMummy, I can assure you of that because I claim it AND I get slightly more because DS is disabled. I get £180 a month and £60 of that is the addition for DS's disability. It would be slightly higher but they deduct Carers Allowance from it.

EntitledTo is a good website but not THAT is only a guide. I am worse off financially out of work than in work and I only earned £14k.

As for the waiting for her to say just WHY she has started tis thread if not to bash those of us who have to claim benefits for whatever reason.

....also waiting to hear why people are not rushing to give up their jobs so that they too can live on our fabulous benefits system. Maybe because work gives more than financial reward.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 04-May-13 13:24:21

Income support is listed as being £71 a week for a lone parent as basic without any other elements so £280 is correct according to the internet sites.

People work and dont claim for many reasons, pride in providing for yourself and the choices you make, children fare better in working households, adult company etc. If everyone decided to not work, we wouldnt have a benefit system.

If it was a true bare bones welfare system then we would not have needed the cap, would not have needed the so called bedroom tax or the stricter measures of ensuring people work when they are physically able too.

sweetkitty Sat 04-May-13 13:37:46

I have four DC and entitled to say I would be entitled to a mac of 23K a year so that was CB, IS, HB, CTC etc did not include free school meals though, that's £10 a week per week per child in school. We get free prescriptions as in Scotland, dental check ups are free but dental work for adults is not unless you are on benefits.

23K tax free would be equivalent to what maybe 30-32K before tax, then you have to factor in actual costs of working, getting to work, work clothes, lunches etc. And that's even before you go down the paying for childcare route.

So if I was a single parent it would definitely not be worth my while to work unless I was earning in the region of 40K to allow for childcare, that's quite sad really isnt it?

JakeBullet Sat 04-May-13 13:38:36

Well i can assure you that I get nothing like that amount. Actually in looking at it, they deduct my Carers Allowance and my Child Benefit too. Both those things are counted as "income" on my paperwork and are deducted from the Income Support I get....hence my payment from IS is less rosy than your figures.

I could just NOT claim but as we can't eat "pride", it's nice to know there is a safety net.

ivykaty44 Sat 04-May-13 15:58:19

sweet kitty -£23.170k net income would = £30k per year income.

If you add on the free school meals then it is £32k

But of course as soon as the youngest gets to school age work will be expected and demanded.

Then child care costs will mount up for 9 weeks in the summer 4x £100 plus the other 39 term time weeks and although you get some contribution to child care it doesn't cover it all and unless it changes by more than £10 for more than 4 weeks they don't count it.

So half term holidays and easter or christmas you will be paying out a lot of money for child care.

sweetkitty Sat 04-May-13 18:18:53

That's the thing though ivykaty take a job at even the national average 25K a year if you could get one, take off rent, council tax, elec & gas, phone, food, travel, other bills, then childcare on top and I really don't know how a single parent would manage to live. I know a lot manage on an awful lot less though, is that because of tax credits?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now