Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

£100 per week better off apart and one less adult.

(84 Posts)
Offred Fri 03-May-13 17:11:49

My husband is a supposed high earner.

I have just checked how money would be if we split, I would have to claim benefits as young children and currently studying.

After he has paid tax our income for six is £100 less per WEEK than we would get if he left and I claimed benefits. Surely this isn't correct? This is without CSA payments and we wouldn't have the expense of feeding him and paying his bills...

HeySoulSister Fri 03-May-13 17:17:57

yes,it probably is right.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 17:20:27

I imagine it would mean what you mean by high earner, what benefits you are expecting to get and if you are entitled to them.. plus factor in the new benefits cap coming .. might be useful to see how you came to this conclusion first for us to comment?

HappyAsASandboy Fri 03-May-13 17:23:08

It is probably right.

But between the two of you, you would have to fund two homes with two sets of bills. That will cost you more than £100 per week.

Or did you mean that you would get more than his net salary, and he would still have his salary to support himself? If that's the case, then I am surprised (and a bit saddened that it is financially better for your children to live in a separated family than a cohabiting one).

sooperdooper Fri 03-May-13 17:23:45

How much is 'High earner' and what benefits are you looking at, are you actually leaving him or is it a hypothetical question?

shelli135 Fri 03-May-13 17:27:13

Yes probably correct, when myself an DP separated I was better of than when we had two wages coming in.

It's no wonder people commit benefit fraud.

Restorer Fri 03-May-13 17:33:39

Shouldn't he may maintenance? That would count as income and affect the level of benefits you could claim. (wouldn't it?)

If you are currently SAHM, once your youngest DC reaches 7yo, you would have to prove you were looking for work.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 18:22:19

Not affected by benefits cap.

CSA apparently isn't counted in claim for income support or child tax credits.

We would get more than his net monthly income and additionally be entitled to CSA and he would have his salary for himself. Apparently, according to online info and calculators. Would also have my uni fees paid and be entitled to free school meals/dentistry etc.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 18:23:06

I would be looking for work when youngest was 7 (3 now) am currently studying for a degree so I can get a not shit job.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 18:24:07

It is hypothetical, was just interested.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 18:27:17

Only thing could have messed it up is that I have worked it out using actual net income and his tax code may be incorrect.

CarolBornAMan Fri 03-May-13 19:18:53

so how much does he earn and how much would you get - can you put this into real numbers?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 03-May-13 19:28:51

It could easily be right but - as pointed out earlier - you'd be running two households, two lots of rent/mortgage, two sets of utility bills, two of everything. So your extra £100 would be wiped out very quickly... and some.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 19:37:32

I don't feel I should give exact details tbh.

It isn't an extra £100 in total cog it is if we separated, he took his earnings out of the household and had them for running his household and I went onto benefits or if I'd never lived with him and had simply been on income support. The benefits would be £100 per week more than his pay on their own, not taking into account whatever his own earnings were that he used to pay for his own separate household.

Like I say, hypothetical though.

ivykaty44 Fri 03-May-13 19:51:21

you are studying - so as far as I know not looking for work? If you are not seeking work then it used to be that you couldn't claim unemployment benefit as you are not in fact unemployed but a student.

I had a b/f with three children and his wife left - he had to claim unemployment benefit as he couldn't continue working (3am start with his job and no childcare provision) but then he went to study and all his benefits stopped apart from child benefit. he hardly scraped by with a mortgage to pay and his parents used to do the shopping once a fortnight and pay for it. it got better when he was at uni as he got a grant and other money to help him as a mature student.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 19:56:58

I'm only a part time student with OU. It only affects benefits if you are full time. Two of my dc are under 5 so would be entitled to income support, child tax credits according to the calculator.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 19:58:53

I know it is hard to get to grips with without actual details.

SofaKing Fri 03-May-13 20:03:05

I didn't think you were entitled to any fees help if you were with the OU I'd be interested in studying there if you do! Tell me I'm wrong so I can go and browse courses grin

ivykaty44 Fri 03-May-13 20:03:26

you said your husband was a high earner, average wage in the uk is around £26k. If your husband is a high earner then he is going to be earning above £30k at least to qualify as a high earner.

So £100 a week more than a higher earner is a big/large amount of benefits.

So if we take a meager 30k earnings and deduct tax to get a net wage we are looking at 445.59 per week

So you are saying that you would be getting over £500 per week on benefits?

lougle Fri 03-May-13 20:05:37

Are you counting the fact that you might claim Housing Benefit rather than having a mortgage?

I ask because Tax Credits do not discriminate between couples and a lone parent, so the child tax credit award would stay exactly the same (obv. affected by the reduced income, though) and the working tax credits would stop.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:07:44

You're not anymore. I started in 2011 and am on the old fees system. Everyone new has to have the new student loan.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:08:11

We don't qualify for any tax credits now.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:09:11

But it isn't strictly true that anyway. Tax credits are awarded based on the household income. If we were separated then he wouldn't be in our household.

lougle Fri 03-May-13 20:11:01

Of course. Although, CSA is going to be taken into account in Universal Credit.

Offred Fri 03-May-13 20:11:38

The benefits; HB, IS, CB and TC would be more than £500 per week yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now