Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

badge financing

(9 Posts)
mouseymummy Sun 28-Apr-13 18:44:32

So, since Feb this company have been taking 2 lots of 10quid a month from dh's account.

20quid isn't a massive amount but we could do with it!

I'm really annoyed that dh hasn't noticed til a month ago.

I can't find an email address online, only a phone number.

Apparently they are either a loan company or they do furniture. Neither of which we've had.

The payments are being taken as a debit card transaction so I can't cancel it via online banking (natwest) dh is going into the bank on Tuesday to sort it, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can

mouseymummy Sun 28-Apr-13 18:45:16

Sorry, pressed send, stupid phone!

Anyway, is there anything I can do tomorrow.

nannynick Sun 28-Apr-13 19:23:50

Can find very little info about this company. Director is listed. One site suggests they may offer finance for electrical household products.

Think about anything that was purchased in Jan or Feb this year.

With luck the bank can trace the original instruction to take money from the account, though that may not produce any more info. The bank may be able to stop payments... then the loan company will send you (or whomever they have the address for) a letter as the loan will default due to non-payment. Probably not a good idea to default on a loan if it was one that your DH took out. So he should think carefully about anything he may have purchased, is he sure this is not something he has brought?

Director got an OBE in 2003, for services to small businesses in the West Midlands.

mouseymummy Sun 28-Apr-13 19:59:49

We've not bought anything on finance and we have one loan that we finished paying off last month, that comes out of my account, not this one.

Dh swears he hasn't had any loans n there's been no odd payments into that account. The account has been mainly used for the cb, ctc etc so I'm really confused.

I don't have credit on my phone atm otherwise id call them tomorrow but it'll have to wait.

As its a debit card transaction, surely that means they've either had hold of the card (impossible, I'm in west yorks and have never been to Birmingham) or they've been given the card details (again, pretty unlikely as the bank card is usually in my purse, or on me. Dh rarely needs it) so on that basis, its looking like the card has been cloned... Or am I looking too much into this?

nannynick Sun 28-Apr-13 20:10:25

Could be a cloned card. See what the bank can do to cancel the transactions and do a charge back to recover payments already made.
There may be a time period restriction on chargeback, such as 120 days, so act quickly.

mouseymummy Sun 28-Apr-13 20:20:13

We won't have chance to get into town tomorrow but we are going in first thing on Tuesday morning so I'm going to get dh to go to the bank n I'm going to phone them n see if they will discuss this with me.

When I do phone I'm going to speak to the highest person available and see what I can find out.

Obviously, I'll need payment dates and amounts, is there anything else I'll need on the phone call?

nannynick Sun 28-Apr-13 20:58:20

I suspect they won't talk to you unless you are the named account holder. So if DH's name is on the card concerned, he should deal with it.

Certainly have as much info as you can... such as payment dates and amounts.

mouseymummy Sun 28-Apr-13 22:14:12

If I get dh to confirm he wants me to deal with it, will they allow that? Dh says they probably will.

I'm sorry to be sounding very dense but I've never really dealt with anything like this before.

mouseymummy Tue 30-Apr-13 16:05:25

Well, just a quick update.

Spoken to the bank, and its looking like dhs account has been cloned.

The bank are referring the case to the police and have refunded the money taken.

The transactions orginated in Kent, we live in west yorks, we can show that he was in our town on the days the money was taken as we used the card in the local shop or took money out of cash machines in the local shopping centre. So its obviously its not us, plus neither of us have ever been to Kent!!

Thank you so much for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now