Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pension - what to do with it when I become a SAHM

(11 Posts)
Bella23 Wed 17-May-06 14:59:52

I am planning on giving up work in August to become a SAHM. I have a pensionw which I have been paying into for the last 10 years (including company contributions)
What shall I do with this now? Do I just freeze it whilst I am not working or do I get DH to put some of his salary into it.

What have you done when you became a SAHM?

Bella23 Wed 17-May-06 15:22:22

Bump.....anyone?

Pruni Wed 17-May-06 15:25:12

Message withdrawn

Gingerbear Wed 17-May-06 15:25:18

If it is a personal pension and you can afford to, keep paying into it.
(I am not a pensions advisor; I work part-time and in a company scheme with AVC - I kept paying into AVC when on non-paid mat leave)

nailpolish Wed 17-May-06 15:25:20

i have a really good pension with the nhs and i wanted to carry on contributing but for some reason it wasnt allowed, so i have just left it frozen

do you think you may go back to work at some point? would it be for the same company? you could then continue with the pension, obviously

my nhs pension is the only one i have and it still worries me what to do with it

my dh has had 4 different jobs and he has 4 different pensions with each of these companies and its getting a bit complicated

good luck

Gingerbear Wed 17-May-06 15:26:17

Think the rules have changed now, since the pensions shake-up in April.
Can everyone, working or not, pay into a stakeholder?

nailpolish Wed 17-May-06 15:29:37

the mere thought of pensions makes me want to scream til my head explodes

Bella23 Wed 17-May-06 15:30:44

Thanks ladies.
Yes I can take the stakeholder pension with me and freeze it but I am just thinking that it means that DH keeps his pension topped up and mine is not.
So I am guessing some people pay into it even when they are not working ie get their partner to pay it on their behalf.

This is the first time I will ever not have worked, I am guessing sense is telling me to get DH to pay into it in the short term, see how we get on financially and then if I return to work will continue it myself

Bella23 Wed 17-May-06 15:31:25

Nailpolish - sam here, the mere mention of the bloody thing makes my mind switch off!

emily05 Fri 19-May-06 19:32:55

Just saw this - when I gave up work my company pension froze.

I have since taken up a stakeholders pension with Virgin. I can pay in as much a I like a month and anybody can take one out. It is really good.

Charlene1 Thu 25-May-06 20:05:28

Hi, I have a frozen company pension from years ago (worked in public sector), and I can transfer it to any future pension. I can't get it back now, but if I wanted to, I can transfer and then cash it in during the first month of the new one. Or I can leave it there and start a new one. So I'd have 2 private and the state ones when I retire. (They just send a statement now and again, calling me a "preserved pensioner" - which dp thinks is hilarious!!!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: