Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Applying for benefits (JSA) for the first time

(6 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sun 21-Apr-13 23:28:45

I've completed an online application for Job Seeker's Allowance this evening.

I've realised after completing it, that I made a mistake on the declaration ref. income; I have more in my bank account than I typed. The advice when I completed the application, was that I will be contacted in the next 2 working days with details of when my interview will be.

Does anyone who's gone through the process know if it's okay to just disclose the error at the interview, or should I move heaven & earth tomorrow to get this corrected? I'm guessing the latter, if only because it will make the interview easier?

Also, I realised while doing further reading, that the assessors won't normally grant JSA until you've been unemployed for 6 months if you resigned from your job, is that always the case? If I get turned down, will I have to reapply from scratch in a month, or will I be on a 'pending' register?

TIA

MrsBertMacklin Mon 22-Apr-13 09:15:40

Bump

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 22-Apr-13 09:40:03

Don't panic. Does the amount in your bank account take you over any kind of threshold?

MrsBertMacklin Mon 22-Apr-13 10:01:52

It takes me significantly closer, but not higher.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 22-Apr-13 13:16:14

Then save it for the interview.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Thu 25-Apr-13 14:18:24

Hi even if you are not entitled to any money from jsa, you can still sign on for your national insurance contribution stamp. It means attending the job center fortnightly and advisor meetings periodically. They may have discretion to lift any sanctions before 6 months have elapsed, you don't know what time and date your appointment will be until the day before when they text you. Then you are just expected to turn up at their convenience. All they see is you are in jsa allowance and treat everyone the same even if you aren't receiving any money. Tbh if I didn't have to sign on I wouldn't esp if you not getting money and you can receive your stamp through child benefit if you are eligible,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now