Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Council tax reduction if DH working away for 6 months?

(10 Posts)
devonsmummy Sat 13-Apr-13 14:03:47

Just wondering if I would qualify for the single person council tax if DH is working away for 6months?

zeeboo Sat 13-Apr-13 14:09:56

No as there are still 2 of you paying the bill. It's his main residence and he's earning so clearly he has to contribute to the council tax.

difficultpickle Sat 13-Apr-13 14:11:42

Is he not contributing to the household income when he is away then? Seems odd to want to work away from your family and not be doing it in order to provide for them.

I assume you would qualify if you contacted the council and had his name removed from the electoral roll and confirmed he had a permanent address elsewhere.

TantrumsAndBalloons Sat 13-Apr-13 14:14:32

Working away surely equals bringing money into the family.

So why on earth would you get a reduction on council tax? Is he paying council tax elsewhere whilst away?

flowery Sat 13-Apr-13 14:22:01

But you are not single. confused

devonsmummy Sat 13-Apr-13 17:21:30

Looks unlikely then! Was just thinking as he wasn't using any of the services whilst working away that I may be able to save a few pounds.
When our house was flooded & we were in alternative accommodation we were able to claim empty property reduction.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 14-Apr-13 08:48:24

If he was working away long enough to have to register on the electoral roll somewhere else and pay council tax in another location, maybe you'd get a reduction. Not for just six months.

Potterer Fri 19-Apr-13 17:20:19

The short answer is no, the long answer is I used to work in council tax and one of the first things we are told is that everyone has a sole and main residence.

Even if your DH was a naval officer and spent 9 months of the year on a ship you would still be charged full council tax. The argument being that the house is where he has "security of tenure" ie, his intention is to return.

fedupwithdeployment Fri 19-Apr-13 17:38:06

Potterer is right...I spent some time investigating this as DH was then in the RN. At the time DH had spent years away, and then was at the other end of the country paying an element towards council tax there. I felt very seen off and wasn't earning anything at the time!

Babedestiny Wed 24-Apr-13 11:22:29

My husband is in the army..and was away for 6 months and we got a council tax harm talking to the council about it..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: