Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can anyone help me re tax credits and maternity leave please

(6 Posts)
SnazzyFizzle Thu 11-Apr-13 21:24:01

I am a single parent on a low income so I am entited to working and child tax credits.

I applied for the credits during my maternity leave and went back to work this week part time so I rang hrmc to inform them of the change in my hours. They told me that I should have only been paid for the first 39 weeks of my maternity leave but I took a year and received the payments throughout I genuinely did not know about the 39 week cap. So now I obviously know I will have to pay these weeks back but does anybody know how this works? Will they stop my payments until I have paid bacl what I owe?

Thanks for any help and advice.

LIZS Thu 11-Apr-13 21:26:50

Not sure if it works the same but when we were overpaid Child Benefit the payments stopped until we had offset the amount.

SnazzyFizzle Thu 11-Apr-13 21:31:08

Thanks LIZS thats what I am dreading, I wont get my first paycheque from work until the end of next month so im relying on tax credits for food, bills etc sad

SnazzyFizzle Fri 12-Apr-13 16:12:25

Does anyone else know anything about this?

RedHelenB Fri 12-Apr-13 16:43:02

If you are still entitled to tax credits they will take it back monthly out of future awards so you shouldn't be left with nothing this month!

SnazzyFizzle Fri 12-Apr-13 16:50:43

Thanks RedHelen thats a relief!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now