Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can someone please help? so confused.

(4 Posts)
JazleEd Tue 09-Apr-13 20:25:47

Right so, sep 2011 I had my little girl and while living with my boyfriend (father of the child) and his parents. I claimed child tax credits and child benifits and thats it. Money came in fine. In both our names.Neither of us has a full time job. And got no momey from boyfriend or his parents.

Then Nov 2012 me and boyfriend split, and i moved back in with my parents with little one. Parents wanted me out and into my own property after a month and its now been 5 months and they are not happy. Me and little one sleep on the living room floor. Claimed for income support in Nov 2012 and heard nothing back and had to reclaim April 2013. Still waiting, very annoyed by that as i now have to wait 6 months for an interveiw about it. Claimed for lone parent and thats fine.

Now im back with my boyfriend. But we live in our parents places and i get no money from anyone but benifits. So have i got to claim that we are a couple again? Also we are now looking for a property together to get off our parents hands (bless them for putting up with us) but with neither of us not having a full time job we dont know what to do.

So, i was told that i need income support to be able to claim for housing benifits. Which by the way i have no idea where that comes from. But again nothing from income support. Im on two council lists but thats a waiting game. Ive heard nothing from no one. And all my money goes towards little one and i barely scrape any for myself. Its so bad that im slightly underweight and i hardly sleep with to many worries . Its all so confusing to what im entitled to and how to claim anything if i am?.

And now my other half is being charged for tax when he doesnt earn £120 a week so how does that happen?

Sorry if that made no sense

JazleEd Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:28

Sorry i left this out. My boyfriend looked everywhere for a job and was declined alot that he ended up going back to three days of college for three years to become an mechanic because he loves cars. He started in Sep 2012.

rhondajean Tue 09-Apr-13 20:47:23

Wow theres a lot in there and I don't think I can answer it all.

If you are not living ŵith your DP just now you continue to claim as a single person.

Housing benefit is not dependent on getting income support, you can get it even if you are working dependent on income. It's a very complicated calculation so I couldn't advise on if you would or not.

I would suggest you go to your local citizens advice bureau for a proper benefits check.

Your DP needs to check the tax code on his payslip. It should be 944L probably, which means he doesn't start paying tax till he has earned 9440 pounds. If it isn't this, he needs to contact hmrc. If it is, he needs to talk to his employer as they are calculating wrongly. It could be national insurance he is paying though which has a lower starting rate, think its £102 a week currently.

Hope that helps a little?

JazleEd Tue 09-Apr-13 20:49:10

Thankyou. Every thing is so confusing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: