Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits -> Universal credit

(7 Posts)
MissDuke Fri 05-Apr-13 21:36:41

Hi everyone

I am guessing no one can really say for sure, but is it safe to assume that the amounts between current tax credits and the future universal credit will be similar?

I have never been eligible for tax credits before, but am hoping to be soon leaving my job to become a full time student for 3 years. I would be very much relying on receiving some benefits to top up hubby's income, to cover the childcare costs (I know I wouldn't get the childcare element as a student, I just mean the child element of tax credits). However it is very hard to take the risk when we don't know what we will be entitled to :-/ Do you think it would be safe to assume it will be similar to what the tax credit calculator currently says? Sorry, I know you don't have a crystal ball, but was hoping someone might know more about this.

We have a mortgage, so wouldn't be claiming any housing benefits, or equivalents to income support/JSA etc.

Thanks x

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:13

I think you'd get nothing. My non-professional understanding of Universal Credit is it requires both partners to be working full time or available to work. In the event both aren't working full time, no subsidy is available for childcare. There are very limited exceptions to the requirement for both partners to work full time like carers to higher rate DLA recipients (with DLA being restricted i understand to those under 16 this is a tiny group of people)

MissDuke Fri 05-Apr-13 23:30:30

Yes, as I said, I know we wouldn't get help with childcare, but would we not still be entitled to some top up of income, in the same way tax credits currently do? x

Manchesterhistorygirl Fri 05-Apr-13 23:32:12

You need to apply for student finance OP. is this your first degree? If you are in England look on for student finance England.

MissDuke Sat 06-Apr-13 00:09:22

Thanks, I have applied for midwifery and it would be my first degree. I am not in England, where I am the student bursary is pretty rubbish, so I was hoping and praying for a small top up through tax credits. Thanks again for your replies x

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 06-Apr-13 14:26:53

It isn't true that both partners have to be working in order to claim UC or that there is no subsidy for childcare. hmm However, as a student, different rules apply and different help is available than for the mainstream population. I would suggest, as soon as you can, that you talk to your Student Services department at your place of education and see what they recommend.

Chubfuddler Sat 06-Apr-13 14:30:30

On MN ( not on talk but the actual site) there is a really good section about UC.

UC hasn't been rolled out yet and won't be for existing claimants until 2017 (by which time I won't be entitled to tax credits anymore anyway). The tax credits claim form says that if you think you may become entitled to tax credits in the future then you should complete an application now. So I would just ring them and ask for a claim pack now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: