Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confused about job seekers allowance

(16 Posts)
TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 19:15:09

Thanks Helen

We're still keeping out fingers crossed that dh may get one of the jobs that he's been interviewing for. I just want to make sure I know what's what before we get thrown in at the deep end if it happens

RedHelenB Tue 02-Apr-13 19:01:22

So when I was on contributions based JSA for a few months then my kids got free school meals.

RedHelenB Tue 02-Apr-13 19:00:19

If you get full child tax credits but not working tax credits then in my neck of the woods you can claim FSM, even if you don't claim any other benefits.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 02-Apr-13 10:28:11

turn2us have a quick bens calculator - plus you can call them with any queries.

Basic info on Adviceguide - or you could go to CAB for info specific to your situation.
and no one will speculate on your 'need' or otherwise

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 10:27:14

So the extra is enough to cover school dinners. Goodness they make it convoluted.
Why not give the same amount and allow the same extra claims. Creating jobs I guess grin

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 10:26:12

Contribution based can be claimed by all who are seeking work who have made recent NI contributions , regardless of other income, savings and assets. FSM eligibility is means tested and your dh could ask if you might qualify when he signs on as Income based JSA may not be the only way of doing so.

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 10:25:24

Thanks wannabe

I don't know why I feel I have to explain myself. I see other ops doing it and think they shouldn't fall for it... And I did smile

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 10:24:24

If someone could find a way for me to work then I would. I've previously applied (when dh was working) for all the Saturday jobs that came up. I even started one until they tried to pay me cash in hand no payslip. (I would have to have take holiday/pled desperate if dh had been sent away)

I don't drive and there is no available child care after 12 noon except on Fridays. If I work it would be minimum wage but would mean that dh would have to look after Ds because of the lack of child care. It would make more sense for him to get his average wage job and for us not to get lots of top ups. Of course he drives so he could do a childcare run into another town but that would be difficult with a job as they tend to ( in his field) have sporadic hours with overnighters or random sudden trips abroad to Bangladesh and the like.
Anyway at the moment there is nothing in my town that I am qualified for.
Once all my children are at school/ I have passed my driving test (which costs of course so unlikely) things will change and I will relish the challenge to stretch my brain a little.


If the OPs DH has a higher earning potential than she does then it would be utterly ridiculous for her to get a job until he finds employment again. Especially as their childcare options are limited and she doesnt drive. She could be employed for a week and have to leave if he finds a job. Its not about need, its about forward planning.

You claim as a couple and only he signs on (depending on the age of your DCs). The rate for a couple on Income based JSA is £111 per week. So an extra £40 per week.

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 10:15:11

No we don't have any savings. We've used them all up during past redundancies.
Feels like one step forward two steps back all the time. So demoralising

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Apr-13 10:15:02

By claiming contribution based you are considered to have other ways of funding things like school dinners. If you are on income based you have no other way to pay for things. Honestly, if you are still able to afford to plan on one of you being a SAHP then you are not in desperate need are you!

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 10:12:01

Ok we wouldn't claim for me too as it would cost more in fares for the one bus a day than I'd claim. Not to mention when I find my minimum wage job (in my town as I don't drive and the buses are shit) dh wouldn't be able to carry on claiming and job hunting as there is only one childminder and they are full. It makes more sense for him to get the job (and more likely seeing as I have no qualifications and have been out of the jobs market for a while)

If he's on contribution based why can't we get school dinners?

LIZS Tue 02-Apr-13 09:43:28

Income based is means tested , contributions isn't. He'd get the contributions-based initially then be reassessed after 6 months if needs be. Do you have savings, interest or other income or assets ? info here. You may need to review being a SAHM if you want to claim the couples level.

Rockchick1984 Tue 02-Apr-13 09:10:25

If neither of you are working you should be able to claim income based unless you have reasonably high levels of savings. However you would both be having to look for work in this situation.

TomDudgeon Tue 02-Apr-13 00:12:49

Dh has been made redundant and we're running out of time (and job openings) before he's going to have to sign on.

I've been on entitled to and have noticed several things that say that if he was on income based he could claim. He'll be on contribution based though as hes being working nearly solidly (apart from a few other redundancies...sigh) pretty much all his adult life. Only one of these would effect us though, free school dinners. It says you can claim if you're on income based jsa. Is there a reason you can't claim on contributions based? Apart from this what is the difference and why would we be penalised for him having been working? (all I can find is that there are differences because of how they are devised not how they are applied)

Also is jsa a set amount regardless of marital status? The reason I ask is last time he claimed for a few weeks and we never really got our heads around it but was told afterwards he should have been able to claim (an amount) for me too. Is this right? I won't be claiming as am a sahm and would need something miraculous to happen for me to be able to get a job (like them running buses or the dvla giving me a licence as a freebie) though am not against the idea if an opportunity arose.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: