Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgages and relocation - will we get one based on my current job if it doesn't look commutable?

(5 Posts)
tartiflette Mon 25-Mar-13 15:51:03

DH has accepted a job offer 2.5 hrs away. We have just had an offer accepted on a house there and have sold our house. We are doing our mortgage application based on my current income: I don't yet have a job down there.
I'm a teacher and currently there is nothing for me to apply for with a September start although obviously this is changing all the time and in any case I could do supply if necessary.

Now, what I have said to the lender is this: since I work three consecutive days a week, I can 'commute' in the sense of staying with friends for part of each week and continuing in my current job. It obviously wouldn't be ideal (we have two pre-schoolers) but it's doable as my mum lives close to the new house and is keen to help, plus obviously it wouldn't be for very long. All of this is true by the way although it's more likely that I will actually find a new job during the summer term.

I'm concerned though that this will look strange to an underwriter and that our application will be rejected. Then I start panicking about doing multiple applications as presumably your chances go down each time?

Can anyone reassure me? Presumably people relocate all the time in similar circumstances - how do they get around it?

emsyj Mon 25-Mar-13 21:57:07

I did this - we bought a house in the north west based entirely on my employed salary in London. I think though that they normally ask you to confirm that you have no intention to change your employment. I'm not sure what the wording of it was but basically I had to sign to say that I wasn't planning to change jobs.

tartiflette Mon 25-Mar-13 22:08:19

Ok. What happens if you do then change jobs? Nothing, presumably...

emsyj Mon 25-Mar-13 22:19:07

I changed jobs (to a local one, obviously) a few months later - nothing happened. This was 4 years ago (and I've changed jobs 2 more times since)!

tartiflette Tue 26-Mar-13 16:55:05

Thanks emsy, feel reassured by that. I think I'm just finding things to stress out about, (hopefully) unnecessarily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now