Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paying a cheque made payable to Mr and Mrs DH?

(19 Posts)
mirai Mon 25-Mar-13 08:40:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Mon 25-Mar-13 08:42:06

He should be able to put it into his I think? Or maybe if you can prove you're married to him - take your marriage certificate.

FunnyBird Mon 25-Mar-13 08:42:58

They'll probably accept it into your DH's account. Ask your/his bank.
Opening a new account is a bit extreme.

Trills Mon 25-Mar-13 08:43:27

You don't need both names. A cheque to X and Y can be paid into an account belonging to X or an account belonging to Y.

You can pay it into his account.

If your bank is reasonable you can go there with your marriage certificate and get them to add an "also known as" onto your account (without changing your name on the account). Not all banks are reasonable though.

CelticPromise Mon 25-Mar-13 08:46:32

I tried that Trills and they flatly refused and said there was no way it would ever be possible. Interesting to hear it should be! I think I'll try again with someone senior. Or move my account.

mirai Mon 25-Mar-13 09:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Babyroobs Mon 25-Mar-13 09:23:37

We had this problem at Christmas, some relatives made a cheque out to us both and we only have accounts in our own names. We ended up having to open a joint account ( although we were planning to anyway at some point). Both our own banks told us we could not pay it into our accounts.

mirai Mon 25-Mar-13 09:37:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nervousfirsttimer Mon 25-Mar-13 09:39:18

Natwest wouldn't let me do this. We have a joint savings but not joint current and they still wouldn't let me (or him!) ridiculous!

Pascha Mon 25-Mar-13 09:42:58

Lloyds and Halifax wouldn't let either me or DH pay in a jointly addressed cheque into single accounts either. We had to embarrass ourselves with the cheque writer asking for one addressed to either/or.

CelticPromise Mon 25-Mar-13 09:47:57

It was HSBC. I haven't changed my name and it seems to confuse some relatives! Some even double barrel us so use neither of our correct names...

MildDrPepperAddiction Mon 25-Mar-13 09:49:43

It's no different to if you had a cheque made out to Mr x and Miss Y. You would still need a joint account. It's nothing to do with the fact you have kept your maiden name and is to protect both payees so one can't run off with the money (assuming it was a tempting enough sum!) with out the others knowledge.

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Mon 25-Mar-13 09:50:31

We were able to pay cheques made out to Mr and Mrs Whinging into DH's Barclays account when we got married. Several years later and we still haven't got a joint account grin

Rockchick1984 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:03:29

The bank shouldn't accept it into an account in one name (maiden name or married doesn't come into it) as the money is for you both, if they accept it into DH's account the member of staff has made an error. It didn't used to be enforced as much as it is now.

noisytoys Mon 25-Mar-13 21:01:31

I used to work at HSBC. They wouldn't accept it into one account if it was a cheque payable to two people. Both people are equally entitled to the money on the cheque. Once it is paid into a sole account the other payee may have no access to it

Gales Mon 25-Mar-13 21:19:17

Sorry, but Trills is wrong. They won't accept it into an account in either of your sole names. Nothing to do with being awkward, it is against the law. It's called conversion if you pay a cheque into an account other than that which it's payable to and the bank would be liable under current money laundering regulations too.

You will need to either, open a joint account (in the names on the cheque), get the drawer to issue a new cheque or make an electronic payment into the account of your choice.

OOI what is the money for/where is it from?

Gales Mon 25-Mar-13 21:36:33

Sorry, I hate it when people quote "the law" without the actual law, so here it is:

“After section 81 of the Bills of Exchange Act 1882 there shall be inserted the following section—81A—(l) Where a cheque is crossed and bears across its lace the words "account payee" or "a/c payee", either with or without the word "only", the cheque shall not be transferable, but shall only be valid as between the parties thereto."

Up until 1992, there was no reason why a person could not hand over a cheque, made payable to themselves, to someone else for them to pay into their own bank account. You simply had to write the name of the person on the back of the cheque and that was it – job done.

However, as you can see from the quote above, the law has since been changed and now all cheques have to be crossed. You will notice cheques now have crossing lines across them and the account payee printed across the front of the cheque. This move was done as a way to decrease instances of fraud.

So, this makes it a risk on the bank’s behalf to accept a crossed cheque into the bank account of someone other than the name printed on the front and as a general rule of thumb, they just do not accept them."

Trills Tue 26-Mar-13 08:29:30

Sorry if I've said the wrong thing - I know that my mum happily pays in cheques addressed to both her and dad into a sole account, but perhaps that's just what happens when you go to the same bank for 30 years... blush

mirai Tue 26-Mar-13 23:32:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: