Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Grandparents taking son abroad - what do we have to do?

(14 Posts)
jellyjelly Sat 06-May-06 17:10:07

I know i cant take my son out of the country unless we have his birth certificate or his dad with me. But do my parents need to do anything legal wise if they are to take him away for a holiday.

Will be back on later to check replies.

He is 3.

LIZS Sat 06-May-06 17:24:07

Assuming for France not afaik but you could give them an authorising letter just in case. Presumably they'd have a return ticket etc.

Hattie05 Sat 06-May-06 17:25:39

Why do you need to take his birth certificate jelly? Is it because you are not married?

Only interested as dp and i are not married either and i had never thought of this sort of situation.

jellyjelly Sat 06-May-06 17:28:12

Yes not married but will be in 2 months time and if we dont re register his birth after our wedding and we then have more kids the first one - out of wedlock wont get anything if we die.

jellyjelly Sat 06-May-06 17:29:03

We will be in the maldives so need to avoid any problems as we wont be here to help.

peaches27 Sat 06-May-06 17:58:06

We are taking our grandson and granddaughter abroad this year and have just applied for a passport for them. I have not heard about taking birth certificates with us, though, cos you have to produce them to get a passport so I would have thought it was unnecessary. But as we havent done it before I would stand to be corrected.

Our situation is different though. The grandkids live with us, we have a residence order for them and this gives us parental responsibility. We are wondering too if we have to produce the order at passport control or what? We are going to take it along anyway.

Hattie05 Sat 06-May-06 19:03:53

Thanks for sharing that jellyjelly, i never knew that!

Damn i won't be able to run away so easily

Hausfrau Sat 06-May-06 19:51:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 06-May-06 20:05:55

Whether you have any problems depends on the policy of the country you're travelling to. I've visited Canada with DS1, without DH, and brought a letter from DH, and a copy of DS1's birth certificate. DS1 and I don't share citizenship, or last name, so I felt this was necessary. And Canada is really twitchy about children travelling without both parents, so they did ask.

As it's grandparents, I'd be inclined to give a notarised letter, with contact details, and maybe some sort of medical permission thing?

callaird Sat 06-May-06 21:14:06

I have travelled abroad with lots of my charges alone, I always take a letter from the parents with a photocopy of their passport/s (don't know who told me this but do it anyway!) Have never been asked for said letter but always better to be safe than sorry.

One of my employers was travelling back from Canada with her children before she was married to their father and they missed their flight as immigration had to have the father at the airport to say it was ok for her to travel with them, thankfully he was staying on for an extra week heli-skiing, but can you imagine the problems if he had left a week early!!!

tinkerbellchelle Sun 07-May-06 10:17:20

sorry to jump in on this thread? Im thinking of going away with my mum and my baby boy in the summer? Dad is going to stay at home cos he is working?

My DS has the surname of my DP and as we're not married would I need to take a letter of permisson? Or his birth certificate?

many thanks

jellyjelly Sun 07-May-06 14:10:34

You will need to take his birth cert this is what i was told by births, deaths and marriages as it is to stop mothers kidnapping their children but the dads can take them away no probs.

jellyjelly Sun 07-May-06 14:11:30

Did you read about the reregistering after the marriage if there is one becasue of any accidents and more children. If not read below.

schnapps Tue 30-May-06 18:03:10

My parents took my dd to Spain last summer with no problems, they just had her passport, didn't even occur to me they'd need anything else.


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: