Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Thought the banks couldn't charge more than £12 now?

(7 Posts)
Moomin Thu 04-May-06 21:51:40

I went over my overdraft limit this month and the bank have written to tell me this and charged me £30!!! I thought bank charges couldn't be made over £12 now? I told the woman on the phone that and she just said 'no, this is a referral so i that's what we charge' WTF does that mean? (btw it's barclays, the shower of bastards! am changing my account as soon as i can but have a huge overdraft at the mo as i'm on maternity leave. as soon as i get straight i'm going to Smile)

fuzzywuzzy Thu 04-May-06 21:53:13

I think you may well be wable to turn around and claim it right back again

expatinscotland Thu 04-May-06 21:53:46

ha! i just got a £30 charge last week.

tjacksonpfc Fri 05-May-06 09:06:43

ive just had a charge of £33.48 for an unpaid direct debit that i had cancelled 2 months earlier

dublindee Fri 05-May-06 09:12:34

It was credit cards the ruling was on not bank charges - and it was recommended that the charges should be £12.50 - but it's not legally binding - it's just a recommendation. There's a useful link on the Moneysavingexpert site though about how to claim back your bank charges for the past 6 years....

bourneville Mon 15-May-06 19:03:46

is there a time limit in which you can do this? i got charged for 3 transactions last summer and part of the reason was that the bank had lost a cheque i had tried to put in just before going on holiday....

bourneville Mon 15-May-06 20:51:52

um ...i just read dublindee's post so ignore mine

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: