Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt collection for dues for unfiled tax returns

(14 Posts)
SuddenlySqueamish Fri 15-Mar-13 11:08:13

Only just realised I'm over a week late on this, hope you got it sorted

SuddenlySqueamish Fri 15-Mar-13 11:07:26

I had a massive fine for unfiled tax returns after I started being self-employed but then got a job offer and being silly naive me, didn't think I had to declare to HMRC that my circumstances had changed. As soon as I called them, they stopped the accruing fine and gave me a couple of weeks to sort out my paperwork and file a return. Once I filed a return showing I had earned no money on a self-employed basis, they revoked the whole fine. The call centre people are surprisingly nice and friendly and will tell you exactly what you need to submit to sort the problem out.

It will be OK smile

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 06-Mar-13 14:59:19

China, remember you will only be able to claim the interest portion of the mortgage against tax, so if the rent is barely covering the interest and repayment you won't be able to claim both.

It might be worthwhile if you are struggling to convert to interest only.

Chinateacup Tue 05-Mar-13 22:56:48

Thankyou for making me a little less afraid to pick up the phone tomorrow. Ladykookoo yes you are correct. But I should still have filled in the forms. Lessons, hard way, and all that ...

PinkCanary Tue 05-Mar-13 22:41:22

We had this... "Accidentally forgot" to tell HMRC that we had a house we rented out. Got a letter asking us to confirm date that rental income started and income and expenditure since then (broken down annually). We owed roughly £50 per year for the 6 years. Paid the lump sum, and end of issue. No charges.
I also forgot to pay employers NI contributions of about £200 when I had an assistant for about 6 months. They wanted to fine me £800 coz I buried my head in the sand for about 2 years. Wrote an apologetic letter and paid the outstanding NI and they wrote the fine off.
We're a bit crap when it comes to paying stuff. Thank god for direct debits!

DeafLeopard Tue 05-Mar-13 22:29:14

Ring them. Explain situation. They won't go away if you ignore them, but IME they are actually very helpful.

Get your statements out and put together a spreadsheet as a start of rental income and expenses

LadyKooKoo Tue 05-Mar-13 22:25:50

Yes, you will be able to pay in instalments. Am I correct in thinking that you own rental properties but the rent you receive is only enough to cover the mortgage on them? Is this why you are not making any profit?

Chinateacup Tue 05-Mar-13 22:16:58

Do you think I can offer instalments?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 05-Mar-13 22:06:26

(Meant to say that in my case it was a routine investigation, didn't stop me shitting myself throughout whole process but it was fine.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 05-Mar-13 22:05:15

I've been investigated by HMRC and really the thought is 1000 times worse than the reality. They are just people.

Be 100% honest and just get it over and done with. Then get an accountant. If they are good they will save you more money than they cost and take a load of worry away. But really, if you can't manage can't you just get out of the business?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-Mar-13 22:00:42

You need to call them ASAP to agree some form of payment or they will send the bailiffs. Nowadays the tax man and the VAT are the same people all HMRC.

onyx72 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:33:15

Take this advice from someone who's been in your shoes. You need to call them and arrange a payment plan. Sooner rather than later; this problem won't go away.

You must have some paperwork like bank statements etc.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 05-Mar-13 20:26:31

Phoning them would be a good place to start. In DH's experience the tax man is no where near as scary as the VAT man but they will send someone if you don't make contact first.

Chinateacup Tue 05-Mar-13 20:21:22

I know we should have but we haven't. For about 3 years. We rent properties but do not make a profit - accidental landlords really. Anyway I have been childish and not opened any letters until today. Which (and I can only imagine this is for starters) states I owe over £1000 for non returns and that if I don't contact them to settle they will send debt collection around. What can I do? I don't have anywhere near enough to pay them. Month on month we just about make ends meet. But I don't have the paperwork anywhere near sorted to file returns. Any advice? Will they really send someone round? If they did, what would they do? Could they forcibly enter and take stuff? Husband working overseas til end April and most stuff in his name so I can't really do much until he's back. Any advice would be well received

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: